Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is it ever legitimate to use reverse thrust before touchdown?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As long as the only emergencies that can ever possibly happen are covered by checklists, I'll never conslder the possibility. ;)Fly safe!David

The possibilites are somewhat endless... so why not come up with a few....

What are a couple of emergencies that would require it?

Is there an NTSB report out there that says.. "If the pilot had the ability to go into REV inflight, this accident would have never happened..."

I've heard of twin otter guys doing it to get back down to the drop zone for another lift of parachutists. Not sure if it's approved or smart, but I'd bet it would expedite operations significantly.

Got call out the BS flag. No way in an TO

Why would one need to?

A very short field! I have used BETA in flight during landing in a few aircraft, including the Twotter. If you can perfrom the manuever safely and confidently in a situation where no one can get hurt, then use it. That Colgan incident......

Well, that guy was an idiot.

Last edited:
I was doing a lesson in a level B Caravan sim a while back, and one of the trainees was curious about TR in flight. The Van has no mechanism that will prevent you from doing it, and in the classroom I'd told the trainees that it was a very baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad idea to do it. He wondered why it was a bad idea, so I set him up at altitude and cruise speed to let him try it. He pulled it back into idle, lifted the gates, and back into beta. As soon as all that airflow from a 106" diameter prop disappeared from the tail surfaces..... well, let's just say the ride got kinda interesting from that point on.

The Porter can used Beta during flight without loss of airflow over the empennage. If you were using reverse in flight I can understand. However, with sufficient nose down attitude the Van should be able to utilize Beta in flight without control airflow problems. Especially in the flare during landing.

while we're on the subject

TR Deploy at Vr in the Lear (sim) wasn't all that fun, I can tell you that!

You ought to get the instructor to give you a tr deploy on one side and an overspeed on the other side at VR in that lr-jet sim. Pretty messed up stuff happens.

The Porter can used Beta during flight without loss of airflow over the empennage. If you were using reverse in flight I can understand. However, with sufficient nose down attitude the Van should be able to utilize Beta in flight without control airflow problems. Especially in the flare during landing.

I don't know about other turboprops, but in the dash with the props up, the levers back, and some flaps out, the thing will fall out of the sky. I can't even imagine the nose down attitude it would require to maintain speed with beta or revo. I think it sounds like a bad idea anytime (not to mention the placard and the REALLY loud horn we have threatening loss of control and death if you try it).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back