• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is it appropriate to pick up open time at EV

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can only speak for my airline, but open time is a part of our negotiated contract. It is paid at 1.5 times normal pay and there are very strict rules about open trips being made available at this rate. That being said, staffing levels including reserve coverage are planned based on a certain level of open time being available and needing to be covered. It does not hurt the company to have reserves flying these trips as that was the plan all along. The reserves do not break guarantee and the flying is essential a freebie to the company. On the other hand, pilots pick up the flying at time and a half and now the company is having to pay 2.5 pay to fly that trip. They are paying the guy who picked it up 1.5 times and they are paying the reserve, who is now sitting at home, straight time. Now I don't think there is a single thing a pilot group can do to bring furloughs back. However, we can cost the company as much money as possible to fly the trips they need covered.

Additionally, before furloughs at my particular airline, we had open time. We have lost some flight hours and as a result have furloughed. The amount of open time has also proportionately dropped. Trust me, if we stop picking up open time, the company won't even blink. Open time is planned. Pick it up and take your company for as much money as you guys can squeeze out of them. If you don't, the company gets a free ride and your furloughed brothers and sisters are still no better off.

If not picking up open times satisfies your moral compass then don't pick it up and feel good that in your mind you are doing the right thing. Other people have different opinions though and that is their right too. This is like arguing religion. Polarizing views with no absolute proof of anything.

Pilot group is grieving that illegal action on Midwest. We have no control over our CEOs actions. Labor's only legal answer to a contract violation is through the grievance process as provided by the law.

ASA/Skywest has yet to feel the pain of furloughes unlike many of the regional/majors airlines out there. We pray that you still don't.

Many/most RJET pilots are making sacrifices in not picking up overtime while a significant number of RJET pilots are jobless. Many (not all) are making sacrifices, cutting back on expenses, bidding minimum schedule, etc.. Just a simple point. Pilots will do what they do - but selflessness is always a good virtue - and needs to be encouraged. :beer:
you were pretty happy about getting that Midwest stuff just in time to have a place for those displaced planes....I doubt the Midwest guys felt the same.

but like you said...none of us has any say in what our companies do.

Latest resources

Back