• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is Colgan toast?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And I hope they do. I hope Gulfstream Academy is named also. Financial accountability (ie: lawsuit) is the only language these people understand. They pay pilots peanuts, meanwhile the execs earn what?

MONEY is the only language they listen to. Time to talk BACK to them in MONEY.

Expect the FAA to get sued too ("how could the government let this happen..." etc etc).

Maybe, just maybe, a rare legit lawsuit will serve as a wake-up call to all parties involved.

The FAA can't be sued.

Colgan will have a hard time renewing their insurance, I think theyre done in current form. CAL will drop them and find some other low bidder, MESA ??

Colgan will probably undergo a name change...who knows, this may be a catalyst for a full merger into Pinnacle. No one has dropped a regional carrier over an accident, even for gross pilot error. Some lawsuits will stick, but the devastating ones will be the suits against the pilots' estates. The only real causalties in the aftermath will be the families of the pilots who lose everything even though they themselves did not make any judgement errors or kill anyone. SO long as Colgan can hide behind FAA approved training, they are safe. Not to mention, they twice held this captain to a high standard which he could not meet, so it shows that Colgan was not deficient in training but the captain was. The FAA will of course go on endangering the publics safety without recourse or reprimand. The aircraft appears to have performed as it was designed, and all the designed safety features worked as planned, so Bombardier will be clear. The only thing that went wrong was pilot actions. I could see a good case being built against those who trained the pilots, including Gulfstream and whoever else touched these pilot's logbooks over the years, but truth be told, even the lawyers don't really have a good sense as to the root cause of the problem. You may see Gulfstream tagged if the lawyers feel they can't squeeze enough out of the pilots' estates.

If my family was in the back and I learned about this, I would OWN Colgan

Well we can't all be perfect and above mistakes like you I guess. :rolleyes:

In my opinion, two Part 121 pilots should not have failed to catch an approaching stall....

.....or forgotten to set flaps for takeoff or lost situational awareness in the mountains of South America or tried to beat a thunderstorm to the airport or attempted to takeoff covered in snow or flown a perfectly good airplane into the everglades, yadda yadda yadda. I guarantee you none of those crews set out with those outcomes in mind.
Your "it can't happen to me" armchair QB judgemental attitude is far more dangerous than any lack of proficiency that crew might have had.

Uh, Nope, haven't done that one yet.

Uh, neither had this crew, up until that point. Again you seem to be implying it would never happen to you.

yes there will be a name change-- there almost always is folloring an accident and its not a major airline.

yesterday the faa poi announced that volgan made it's intention known to get another 15 q's--- i doubt CAL drops them- it's about money and colgan is cheap

This will be the impetus for Colgan to be fully merged with Pinnacle. PCL ALPA will get their wish of one list/one company, although a tragic crash was not the best way for it to happen.

I agree with minimaniac and grinder. Listening to the NTSB hearing for the last couple days, it is apparent the Colgan training department and administrative structure needs to GO. Mary Finnegan doesn't know the pay rates for F/Os? YGBSM.

They don't sim train stick shakers and stick pushers? YGBSM.

These clowns have no business in the airline industry.

I'm not for one second defending this crew.. I think they screwed the pooch.

But two points keep being made that bug me. I'm typed on the Q, through flightsafety and have also done airline specific training on it. Stick pusher training is not part of any program I have seen. I've had it demoed for me in the sim because I wanted to see what it looked like, but not a part of required training.

Second, the Q doesn't have a chip detect feature that is visible to the pilots like most props. That function is hidden in an enigmatic Powerplant message, that can mean one of about 17 things none of which the crew can identify. If that's the only turbine aircraft the girl ever flew she wouldn't necessarily have know what that was.

Again, not for one second defending the crew in any way shape or form, but don't incriminate them for things beyond their control.

cale

Again, not for one second defending the crew in any way shape or form, but don't incriminate them for things beyond their control.

cale

Agreed. Unfortunately there's chum in the water and this site is top heavy with scavengers.

Latest resources

Back