• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is ATP on crack

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's a good thing you're just a recreational pilot sound like a kite is just for you. ATP has been around since 1980s. It's a good bet that 1 out of a handful of the professional pilots you see out there from majors to regionals to cargo to corp came from ATP, including thousands and thousands of military pilots who do their civ stuff there.

Either you're one of the idiots who couldn't make it through the program or you just want to flame bait with your post. ATP students do exactly the same quality of training and better only they do it everyday instead of once every 2 weeks mom and pop students do. CFI check rides are done by the FAA. The fact that the program is only 4 months doesn't mean that it's dumbed down, you basically live and breathe flying during those 4 months. You will have no life other than 8 hours of flying and hours of studying. Does the local mom and pop place put two brand new instrument pilots inside a 350K plane and allow them to fly coast to coast?? ATP is a great program but it's not for those that need hand holding, as is the case at airline training events. ATP is not a mom and pop school, they are focused on airline procedures. If you want to be a bush pilot or want to spend hours learning a subject with a lot of hand holding, ATP is not for you. From day one they tech multi crew concept in flying.

The reason I plan on going to ATP for my post PPL training is to learn the airline / crew procedures way from day 1. I've been saving money diligently for the past few years. Once I retire from the AF I'm going there and then moving on to CFI. I have a few contacts at Dynamic Aviation, General Atomics, etc...Airline flying is a backup plan. Ideal job would be as a UAV pilot / trainer for General Atomics with deployments to the middle-east 4-6 months of the year. Keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out.

I am not knocking FBO's. From what I have seen, those that get their commercial and go to JetU, Riddle CAPT, etc. are much weaker FO's than those who have trained at ATP or gone the flight instruction route.

Now I'm really confused. I thought JetU was a place you go to with 0 hours-Commercial Multi? Why would people get there with their commercial already?

I find it funny that two years ago, regionals were hiring people that could draw an airplane, or make that cool jet engine sound like the airplane in 'Airplane'.

And just so we're talking about the same movie, the plane made "prop" noises, right? Does that mean I know too much?

Lilah

It's a good thing you're just a recreational pilot sound like a kite is just for you. ATP has been around since 1980s. It's a good bet that 1 out of a handful of the professional pilots you see out there from majors to regionals to cargo to corp came from ATP, including thousands and thousands of military pilots who do their civ stuff there.

Either you're one of the idiots who couldn't make it through the program or you just want to flame bait with your post. ATP students do exactly the same quality of training and better only they do it everyday instead of once every 2 weeks mom and pop students do. CFI check rides are done by the FAA. The fact that the program is only 4 months doesn't mean that it's dumbed down, you basically live and breathe flying during those 4 months. You will have no life other than 8 hours of flying and hours of studying. Does the local mom and pop place put two brand new instrument pilots inside a 350K plane and allow them to fly coast to coast?? ATP is a great program but it's not for those that need hand holding, as is the case at airline training events. ATP is not a mom and pop school, they are focused on airline procedures. If you want to be a bush pilot or want to spend hours learning a subject with a lot of hand holding, ATP is not for you. From day one they tech multi crew concept in flying.

Please take some grammar lessons.

they are scumbaaaaaaaaagggss!!! (mexican acent)

they suck!

got to be kidding me written letter for job guaranteee! yeaaaaaa right!

I saw the video of the promo they have on their website..and saw that and I remember that they used to work for Gulfstream Academy! what a freaking Deal.. sound like TAB EXPRESS to mee! scumbacks!

Last edited:
I spent two days at ATP, and got my ATP. My instructor only had 270hr TT time. The only thing I learned there was a PA-44 is much more sensitive than a CL-65.

Some people on here have bought the ads hook, line and sinker. I went a 141 FBO, never had any "crew concepts" training until the airlines and I think I am just fine. When I went through (given it was 15yrs ago) there was no need for that since the airlines taught you what you needed. Now somehow you have to pay for it. I don't think so!

Got my multi and did the CFI program at ATP at CRG. At the time it was a much cheaper alternative and I am glad I did it versus wasting time. I did not have to do my CFI checkride with the FAA, it was done at the ATP location in FLL with a DPE. Throughout all of my training I never did a checkride with the FAA.

Latest resources

Back