Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is ATL the last hub the holds for intrail?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ISaidRightTurns

We were talking at work today about the amount of hold we do in Atlanta. Someone said we are the last of the busy facilities that goes to holding several times every day. That Houston, Chicago and all the northeast airports don't hold at all, unless the airport get shut down for some reason or it becomes absolutely necessary. This is the only place I have ever worked so I guess I don't know any better. Is that true?

I think ORD holds just about every day. I know for a fact that Boston holds quite a bit, and we can add both JFK and LGA to the list as well.

Haven't held at either ORD or ATL in a long time.

Of course, I cool my heels in ATL on the ground for 45 minutes all the time waiting for takeoff/gate. I suppose that's the same thing.

I guess it depends on the arrival your inbound on. We hold on the sinca every day seems like. Macey rarely holds. Of course they have 3 times the volume on that arrival too.

I don't know why their is any holding at ATL arpt. I'm giving you twenty intrail 750 miles away in Maine everyday on every $%^&@$ Delta from Europe.

Nah, NE ARTCC's hold just about every day. Last night was brutal, a AAL flight held for 1+15 last night. ZNY holds for PHL often, EWR, and LGA also. JFK is pretty good, unless there is wx you may hold 5 minutes for volume or runway change, most days aren't bad. The room (N90) holds also, both N90 and ZNY do not have a lot of airspace so it's a real domino effect if it's busy, as soon as you hang up the line with N90 you're shutting down all the sectors feeding you.

We're rumored to be getting URET this winter... how do you like it ?

If there is a cloud over ATL, you will hold! We've held in MCO at 10pm going to ATL for weather. An hour and 10 minutes later we get there and there is not a cloud in the sky for miles. Now with the RNAV departures and arrivals they really go off into a spin when there is an AC that cannot comply with RNAV. We've had a few arguments with them regarding the RNAV issue and they get UUUUUGLY. They can't understand why if we are filed as RNAV equiped we can't fly the darn thing and I have to explain to them the RNP2 vs RNP 5, OPS SPECS, all the good stuff...

Yeah, we have intrail reaching way the hell out there, but it only takes one emergency to shut down a runway or worse have someone whisper the dread windshear word.

As far as URET, we don't have it yet, so I have no comment. Should get here in the next few months.

In ATL you'll hold for anything. A cloud drifts over the airport, someone farts in Peachtree City, whatever.

The "Operation Clockwork Orange" depeaking was supposed to fix it, but only made it worse. Now you get a tour of the Macey, Sinca, LaGrange, or Rome area as late as 11pm since there's no lull between the pushes to let everything recover.

And hold onto your seats... Phase II of Clockwork Orange is coming soon.

Latest resources

Back