• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is ANYONE Happy At The Regionals?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree the general sentiment of SluffPuppy's post. Flying was a career change for me and I greatly appreciate that I don't spend 5 or more days per week at the same old desk. I think it's important at the regional level to keep your eye on your goals and realize that the regionals are, for most people, merely a stepping stone, not unlike grad school.

In the end, we can each choose to be happy or not.

It's like any other job. It has its ups and downs. The other day I was done and in Miami at 10am. We stayed on the beach and it was 80 and sunny. Fantastic. But the prior week was all cancellations, deadheads and 5 approaches to absolute minimums all day. Then scheduling basically tells you they can and will do whatever they want with you because the company is so tight on money, they won't hire enough. So, you take the good with the bad, you take them both and there you have... oh, nevermind.

Thanks for the input guys. This has given me some hope that everything isn't all bad in the regionals. I have an interview coming up that I have been debating whether or not I really want to finally join the airlines, it's good to know people are happy out there. I've never been in aviation for the money or else I would have left long ago. But we have the best office with the greatest view available!

PTS said:
Thanks for the input guys. This has given me some hope that everything isn't all bad in the regionals. I have an interview coming up that I have been debating whether or not I really want to finally join the airlines, it's good to know people are happy out there. I've never been in aviation for the money or else I would have left long ago. But we have the best office with the greatest view available!

That'll work for awihle, till you realize the mortgage needs to be paid and you want to see your kids. I'm not saying this biz doesn't have good things, there are some, but don't sell your soul for a "nice view".

I enjoyed a good amount of my time at colgan. The quick upgrade helped though. Life is much better in the left seat. Learned a lot, and then got out. I enjoyed the years as captain much better then the one year as FO though. Big difference. I know i wouldn't be happy stuck as an FO at a regional for years, jet ot prop. I least liked the northeast cold bases, and constant aircraft write ups and break downs.

I only hope that this thread gets to be over 10 pages. Though the guys that are already in it complain, a bunch of us need to be positive. Granted things need to get better for everyone in the industry, but thats the way things are. Its better than everything else out there. Thats why we became pilots! I for one would not be happy as a cubicle guy.

Thanks again for this post!

Boondock Saint said:
All the BS aside, are you relatively happy doing what you are doing?
Short answer: Yes.
Long version: We all like the flying part, or we wouldn't be here. However, there is more to it than that. Being faced with layoffs, concessions (pay and others), gruelling schedules, drafting (aka Junior Manning), etc etc, tends to dampen the happiness. Thus, I see absolutely nothing wrong with pilots seeking to improve their working conditions. To think management will do it for you is naive (in my opinion). Management would have you fly for free if they could.. Do I like my job? Absolutely!
Cheers!

I think you just have to get there and find out yourself. No one else can tell you if it's going to be worth it or not. All I can say is that if you really want to fly for a regional, then you at least owe it to yourself to find out first hand what it's like.

Is it worth going through all the effort to get there? Absolutely
Will it be worth it after you've done it for awhile? Who knows?

Just realize that there is a huge disparity between the perception of being a (regional) airline pilot and the reality.

First of all. Thank you for posting this here thread. Its about time we for once expressed how we truly felt. And for the most, I really do like my job.

For instance, I'm living at home rent free, little to no bills. Which is good for only making 19.04$ per hour. The best part about being an airline pilot takes place out on the line. Its all the before and after that kinda kills the mood sometimes.

All things considered, I think we as human beings tend to dwell on the negative things in life. So thats why it seems so evident that we hate our jobs.

In actuality I really do love my job. It's a heck of a lot better than doing some kinda JERK OFF desk job.

Before flying I poured concrete floors and did home framing for 8 months. That is some rough work. 5-6 days a week, all the time, the rest of your career. The drywallers really worked hard, and i never really saw older guys doing that type of work. It just beats you up. I guess that background makes me appreciate my job more. Framing houses in the northeast in january is no picnic. I also did a few years of retail work at marshalls department store. Could not do that long term, even if they did make me a manager.

Latest resources

Back