• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is Allegiant Airlines currently hiring?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One thing that needs to be emphasized is that the "home every night" aspect is in no way, shape or form a company-provided negotiated benefit. It is a cost saving measure that just so happens to be beneficial to those who chose to move to (or already live in) an Allegiant base. The minute it becomes cheaper to overnight, pack your bags sweetheart!

Also, if you are considering applying because we just opened a base near you, caveat emptor. All new bases are "experimental" and can close with minimal warning. We have several pilots who moved to HNL that will be involuntarily displaced back to the mainland in the fall. Again, no axe to grind and overall I've been happy during my 8 years here, but I didn't want any prospective pilots to choose this company based solely on the "home every night" premise.

I always tell people to come and stay here for what it IS, not for what it COULD be. If you come here thinking that this could be the next SWA and somehow management will morph into Herb Kelleher, you will be disappointed.

UEJ500 has been here 8 years, so he has no idea what it's like to be junior at Allegiant. He probably upgraded to Captain in less than a year and spent fewer than 6 months on reserve. And he probably gets 18-20 days off a month. He also gets first dibs at open time, so he probably makes pretty decent money. For the newer guys, you will get none of that. Here is what you can expect if you come to Allegiant.

Upgrade...many FOs have been here nearly 5 years and upgrade is still not in sight. If you are new here, it could be many more years. 2.5 years ago the new managment told us they expected to have 1000 pilots within 3 years. We haven't gained a single pilot since then. In fact, the pilot group has barely grown at all in the past 5 years.

TDY... there is a very high probability you will be sent to another base for 30 days at a time. This may happen 3 or 4 months in a row at different bases around the country. During your TDY you may only get 1 day off in a row and the company absolutely refuses to get you home on your days off. That's right, they WILL NOT help get you home on your days off. Therefore you may have to jumpseat cross country from a small city like Bellingham, WA or Ft Myers, FL to get home. Also, up until this month, the company would not get pilots a rental car on TDY. You were couped up in a hotel room for a month or more with no way to go anywhere unless you paid for a rental car out of your own pocket... about $800-$1500/mo. Now the company has begun renting one economy car for every two pilots on TDY. If you're the only TDY'd pilot, who knows.

Displacement... it happens quite often ever since the new management got here. They will displace you to a different base and they don't have to pay you a single penny in moving expenses unless they close down the entire base.

Health insurance... the worst in the industry. Walmart employees actually have better insurance than we have at Allegiant. Let me repeat that, WALMART employees have better health insurance than Allegiant employees. Our insurance doesn't pay a single penny until you spend enough out of your pocket to reach your yearly deductible. That's $1500 deductible plus about $1400 in premiums for individuals and about 4 times that for families before Cigna pays a penny.

Vacation/PTO... they're one in the same. Pilots only accrue about 3-4 hours of PTO per month depending on years of service. You cash out a little over 17 hrs of PTO to take a week vacation. Even the office employees here at Allegiant, like secretaries, accrue over 9 hours per PTO per month.
If your vacation falls on the day of a scheduled trip, you lose the pay for that trip. Pilots usually lose money for taking a vacation.

Thank you for an honest answer! If Allegiant has all this money in the bank, why do they consistently have so many maintenance problems week after week? Allegiant is in the newspaper every week for some sort of return to field issue? Instead of saving all that money, try spending it on fixing airplanes or buying ones thats are'nt 40 years old? Is Maury a cheap bastard or what? It sounds like a "Colgan type" operation with 40 year old big jets?

Last edited:
Thank you for an honest answer! If Allegiant has all this money in the bank, why do they consistently have so many maintenance problems week after week? Allegiant is in the newspaper every week for some sort of return to field issue? Instead of saving all that money, try spending it on fixing airplanes or buying ones thats are'nt 40 years old? Is Maury a cheap bastard or what? It sounds like a "Colgan type" operation with 40 year old big jets?

Chuck,

I'll take Maurys way any day of the week. Dont come to Allegiant, you wont like it.

Chuck,

I'll take Maurys way any day of the week. Dont come to Allegiant, you wont like it.

It's funny that people complain about the planes while we are actually parking MD80s and replacing them with Airbus, and it is still not good enough!

Does the airline have to magically park all the MD80s overnight and replace with Airbus the next day to be good enough for you?

It's funny that people complain about the planes while we are actually parking MD80s and replacing them with Airbus, and it is still not good enough!

Does the airline have to magically park all the MD80s overnight and replace with Airbus the next day to be good enough for you?

What's also funny is American has 170 MD80's and Delta has around 120. Most of American's 80's are older. I don't hear people complaining about that. I guess it's just wrong for allegiant to have them.

What's also funny is American has 170 MD80's and Delta has around 120. Most of American's 80's are older. I don't hear people complaining about that. I guess it's just wrong for allegiant to have them.

Yeah, but what you don't hear or read about is AA or Delta returning to the field 3 times a week solely for maintenance either? Cheaper is not always better! Thanks for the info guys.

Yeah, but what you don't hear or read about is AA or Delta returning to the field 3 times a week solely for maintenance either? Cheaper is not always better! Thanks for the info guys.

Please show me the 3 weekly articles for the last 2 months. I'm interested in seeing that.

If you don't work here or don't have interest in working here..... then what is your fascination with allegiant??

In his defense you'll find captains with not one but two or three engine failures at Allegiant. How many MD80 pilots at Delta and American can say the same?

I do agree that the sole purpose of his posts is to stir up controversy, but I also agree that everything he has said has merit.

In his defense you'll find captains with not one but two or three engine failures at Allegiant. How many MD80 pilots at Delta and American can say the same?

I do agree that the sole purpose of his posts is to stir up controversy, but I also agree that everything he has said has merit.

I agree there is mx issues with the 80 (3 engine failures per captain is a stretch). My point is there isn't 3 weekly articles about allegiant mx issues. Delta and American bang quite a few engines themselves. It's an 80.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back