• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ireland's Aer Lingus forms alliance with JetBlue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I re-read the press release just to make sure and it does sound like a full codeshare. To quote, "Customers will now be able to make just one booking, which will allow them to travel from Ireland to the U.S. and onto a direct Jet Blue flight to 51 destinations." There was also that mention about the website but that seems like it would be in addition to the codeshare.

Tuesday, February 6, 2007
JetBlue, Aer Lingus to forge world's first international discount alliance
JetBlue and Aer Lingus are forming a strategic alliance, according to various media reports. Aer Lingus claims the partnership "would be the world's first tie-up between two international low-cost carriers," Reuters writes. "The partnership will significantly extend Aer Lingus' reach into North America," the Dublin-based airline said in a statement on Tuesday. "Customers will now be able to make just one booking, which will allow them to travel from Ireland to the U.S. and onto a direct JetBlue flight to 51 destinations."
"Both Aer Lingus and JetBlue stressed their agreement did not go quite as far as traditional alliances, however, because there was no code-sharing deal to allow them to sell seats on one another's planes as if they were their own," Reuters writes. "Instead there will be buttons on each other's Websites that connect the two." At a news conference today to discuss the deal, Aer Lingus CEO Dermot Mannion says the web-based alliance is simply "a very low cost booking process between two low-cost carriers." He adds: "It costs virtually nothing, we're developing this thing in house. We're going to let the machinery do the work." JetBlue officials, meanwhile, say they hope the deal will put more paying passengers on its flights. "JetBlue ... is still in partnership talks with other international carriers," adds company spokesman Bryan Baldwin. The alliance is expected to be put in place this summer.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/sky/

Maybe I am wrong. Would be nice if I was.

AL will lose all its alliances in April. They've been fighting Ryan Air off and have reestablished themselves in a low-cost manner to compete with Ryan-- any kind of partnership is a move in the right direction for both carriers. The true code-share is a difficult thing for Jetblue to handle right now (liabilities) and the internet link is the way to go. This will be the "new" way you can bring in one of many international carriers on board from JFK/BOS without all the strings attached. I bet we see more of these "partnerships" soon.

I have to say it.

Pretty shrewd deal by those cunning Lingus people.

(There! That's the punny line you were trying to come up with! )

AKAAB

AL will lose all its alliances in April. They've been fighting Ryan Air off and have reestablished themselves in a low-cost manner to compete with Ryan-- any kind of partnership is a move in the right direction for both carriers. The true code-share is a difficult thing for Jetblue to handle right now (liabilities) and the internet link is the way to go. This will be the "new" way you can bring in one of many international carriers on board from JFK/BOS without all the strings attached. I bet we see more of these "partnerships" soon.

What? The codeshare is the way to go. I don't think a link will be that much of a windfall.

I believe this will play out as a web site alliance. Instead of going to Jetblue's web site and buying a ticket from LGB to DUB on JB305 connecting to JB8555 (the EI flight), you would purchase two tickets on JB305 and EI104 in one transaction. This seems to be the logical arrangement if there's only one booking and no code share.

You know why god invented alcohol?
So the Irish would not take over the world!

What if Continental and Air Lingus Merge as rumored years earlier?
What would these two merged airlines call the new Airline? WOW!
Mach8

This would be great only if JetBlue announced its new "branding" product on board flights was Guinness. I am sure the bags would be a little on the heavy side going to the layover hotel.

I believe this will play out as a web site alliance. Instead of going to Jetblue's web site and buying a ticket from LGB to DUB on JB305 connecting to JB8555 (the EI flight), you would purchase two tickets on JB305 and EI104 in one transaction. This seems to be the logical arrangement if there's only one booking and no code share.

Now that makes sense. Maybe that's where Bayou was going.

Latest resources

Back