• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

iPAD XM WX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just so you can get to where other tablets have been for the last 5 years, but without the daylight readability, GPS position, or the ability to update via disc.

Can anyone recommend a good video poker app for the IPad?

Has anyone ever had an issue reading the iPad in any lighting conditions in a cockpit? I haven't..

and update via DISC?...really? Is that in case the hard drive crashes on my Windows 95 iPad? heck we can even get out a big briefcase computer bag and hook up the external CD drive, just as a little walk down memory lane!...standby as I call 1-800-wxbrief on my fancy RAZR phone...:)

For the life of me I don't know why anyone cares about GPS or XM weather on a damn chart viewer...but to think huge progress hasn't been made over a brick $5000 90min battery "EFBs" and cheap, fast iPads....thats a stretch!

Last edited:
Has anyone ever had an issue reading the iPad in any lighting conditions in a cockpit? I haven't..

and update via DISC?...really? Is that in case the hard drive crashes on my Windows 95 iPad? heck we can even get out a big briefcase computer bag and hook up the external CD drive, just as a little walk down memory lane!...standby as I call 1-800-wxbrief on my fancy RAZR phone...:)

For the life of me I don't know why anyone cares about GPS or XM weather on a damn chart viewer...but to think huge progress hasn't been made over a brick $5000 90min battery "EFBs" and cheap, fast iPads....thats a stretch!

I haven't used an EFB or or paper charts in years (thanks Honeywell and Collins). But 8 years ago I used Jeppview on a crappy old Fujitsu tablet and it worked just fine. 6+ year ago I used Jeppview on other tablets (Motion) and been able to see my GPS position and XM Weather. So I just chuckle a little when Apple Fanboys get all excited about the possibility of one day being able to do this.

I have seen the daylight readability of the Ipad, and it is underwhelming. Combine that with the glare from the screen and I do not think it is much of an improvement over some of the older EFB's.

As far as having a disc goes, A worldwide subscription take a very long time to download. In some of the places we travel, internet connectivity can be spotty. I don't know if Jeppesen has resolved their download issues from the early days, but back then, if you lost a connection in the middle of a download, you were SOL. I guess we could download them through the SBB (that would only cost a few thousand $$ in data charges). Would it kill Apple to put a micro USB port on the thing? Why yes it would, then they would lose their monopolistic grip on you.

My feeling is that the Ipad makes a good game system in the cockpit on long flights (hence the Angry Birds or Video Poker crack). Everytime someone comes up to me to show me their IPad, I ask them "What can you do with it?" Out comes Angry Birds.:laugh:

I'm not anti-technology (in fact, quite the contrary), I just think the IPad is overpriced, and don't like the monopoly Apple holds over it's users (Hundreds of dollars to upgrade a few MB's of memory, Everything controlled through I Tunes, Proprietary connectors etc..). I really hope that Jeppesen develops an Android App for Jeppview. There is competition in the Android market, and if the apps can reach a critical mass, the Ipad will be the next Palm Pilot.

Don't get me wrong. If someone wants to buy me one, I will gladly accept it. If you really want to change my mind, PM me and I'll send you my shipping address.

Last edited:
iPad....an overpriced conspiracy that will be the next Palm Pilot?

:confused::confused:

Get off my lawn!

G200, rather than bullying people online, don't you have a beer to drink and a cigarette to smoke?
:cool:

I don't do either, as such behavior reflects poorly on corporate aviation as a whole.

As an observer on the other side of the fence you knew that....and I suspect you are just bitter because you fly a small airplane.

I don't care what you Nay-Sayer are regurgitating. I love the iPad. No problems with the daytime readability due to a glare film. Had a day trip the other day. After the first leg I pulled my iPad out of the mount and took into the FBO with me. Was able to make my hotel reservations for upcoming trips with it, respond to emails, look up something in the flight manual, and even check on NFL Draft updates with it. When it was time to leave, it went back to work in the cockpit. Try doing that with your Pro Line 21. all for $800.00 plus $100 for the Bed Elf, $25 month for 3G, and $150 a year for ForeFlight.
Try doing that with

I don't care what you Nay-Sayer are regurgitating. I love the iPad. No problems with the daytime readability due to a glare film. Had a day trip the other day. After the first leg I pulled my iPad out of the mount and took into the FBO with me. Was able to make my hotel reservations for upcoming trips with it, respond to emails, look up something in the flight manual, and even check on NFL Draft updates with it. When it was time to leave, it went back to work in the cockpit. Try doing that with your Pro Line 21. all for $800.00 plus $100 for the Bed Elf, $25 month for 3G, and $150 a year for ForeFlight.

Or you could have the ProLine 21 and also have iPads for the crew as well. :beer:

Thanks to all you Apple Fan Boys for your PM's. Because of your fervent desire to prove to me that the IPad is at least as good as the EFB I was using 8 years ago (and I will concede that once you get OSP and XM weather it will be) I have been sent six new I Pads and will be selling them here on FI.:pimp: Unfortunately I will have to sell them at Apple's mandatory price. They control that pretty strictly. If you want to upgrade any of them, well......sorry, you take what you get.

As for the price being lower than what an EFB cost 8 years ago, that is de rigueur in the electronics world my friends.

I don't hate the IPad, I just can't get caught up in the hype, hence my original Yawn comment. How much time do I spend looking at an approach plate??? How often do I look up something from my Ops Manual in flight?? How often do I book a hotel room myself while I'm at my destination (Answer. Never - that's what CSR's are for).

I would like something to kill time on a long flight, and for that the IPad seems perfect. I could leave Jepp TC running in the background so if the boss came up in the cockpit I could pretend like I was working. Come on now, who has not done that?

OK I will admit that I might be trolling...:laugh: But thanks for all the Ipads.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back