iPad vs. laptop

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TRBojet

I know the iPad has been discussed on the forum plenty before but I wanted to pose a question about it's use vs. a laptop. Our small flight department has decided to make the move from paper to electronic Jepps. After looking at the cost savings and the other obvious features of using an iPad we presented a brief cost analysis to our company only to have them say that we should be able to use our laptop. What??? Does anybody have some quick answers as to why we can't/shouldn't use a laptop? I know that if they don't agree to getting iPads we will stick with paper; I'm not flying around with a computer in the cockpit. Some bullet points or some FAA restirctions to use to make our point would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Battery life, startup time, easy to stow, mount options that allow you to reference it while flying during critical phases.... Trying to fly an approach to mins in moderate turb with a laptop in your lap is UNSAFE

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

This is one of those things where if you make them experience flying with a laptop then experience flying with an ipad, you don't even have to say a word.

I'd just say a laptop is too big and bulky, with low battery life.

I'd buy $1000 in laser ink cartridges and keep printing everything.

:)

After looking at the cost savings and the other obvious features of using an iPad we presented a brief cost analysis to our company only to have them say that we should be able to use our laptop. What???

Which one of them knows anything about what you need in the cockpit? Seriously, if they don't want to spend the money, fair enough, but who are they to tell you what works and doesn't work in an airplane cockpit. Don't they pay you to know that?

I'm assuming they want you to use your existing laptops....get your hands on an iPad with foreflight or something. Demonstrate battery life. Find reports where laptop batteries have exploded. Show them how much paper you can eliminate, which means his Mrs. can bring 10 gallons more makeup for her face. I know jeppview can be used on a laptop but it totally blows and is unusably slow. IMO.

Do the executives making the decisions have iPads? Ask them why they prefer the iPad at certain times to the laptop. Those reasons will revolve around convenience whereas you shoudl demonstrate your are flight safety.

I completely agree to what everyone has said here. I thought I was paid to make operational decisions like this; apparently the people in accounting know more about aviation than me. Thanks for all the good input. May have to take this to the higher-ups.

Tell them to go drive there car for a couple hours with their laptop in their lap. Some people are idiots!!!!

Latest resources

Back