• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

IPA to UPS--Enjoy your Service Failures--

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When the Midway Pilots were getting screwed, I didn't say anything... because I wasn't a Midway Pilot.

When the Aloha pilots were getting screwed, I didn't say anything... because I wasn't an Aloha pilot.

When the MidEx pilots were getting screwed, I didn't say anything... because I wasn't a MidEx pilot.

When the Emery pilots were getting screwed, I didn't say anything... because I wasn't a Emery pilot.

When the UFS pilots were getting screwed, I didn't say anything... because I wasn't a UFS pilot.

When the TWA pilots were getting screwed, I didn't say anything... because I wasn't a TWA pilot.

When the ABX pilots were getting screwed, I didn't say anything... because I wasn't an ABX pilot.

And when I got screwed, there was no left to speak for me.....

(borrowed)

If only SWAPA had this set of balls...

It's not about "balls." It's a contract provision that was actually a loss from past practice.

The IPA had a long history of a very open policy of open-time and JA bans whenever they wanted, even during contract negotiations, and up to the early '00s, it was perfectly legal. Along came a judge in the 11th Circuit Court and ruled against the Delta pilots when they stopped picking up open time, and suddenly the law changed. When it came time for UPS/IPA to negotiate a new contract, UPS management said that the IPA's long-standing position that they could tell pilots not to pick up open time was now illegal, and the company wouldn't recognize it. As a compromise, the IPA agreed to the above provision in their contract, which limited the times that they could call for an open-time ban to just when pilots are furloughed. It was a significant change in their past practice, but it was the best they could do for a compromise. Unfortunately, I doubt they'll even be able to hang on to the compromise in the next contract.

It's not about "balls." It's a contract provision that was actually a loss from past practice.

The IPA had a long history of a very open policy of open-time and JA bans whenever they wanted, even during contract negotiations, and up to the early '00s, it was perfectly legal. Along came a judge in the 11th Circuit Court and ruled against the Delta pilots when they stopped picking up open time, and suddenly the law changed. When it came time for UPS/IPA to negotiate a new contract, UPS management said that the IPA's long-standing position that they could tell pilots not to pick up open time was now illegal, and the company wouldn't recognize it. As a compromise, the IPA agreed to the above provision in their contract, which limited the times that they could call for an open-time ban to just when pilots are furloughed. It was a significant change in their past practice, but it was the best they could do for a compromise. Unfortunately, I doubt they'll even be able to hang on to the compromise in the next contract.

Yeah...I still wish SWAPA had balls.

It simply demonstrates the difference between a strong union genuinely interested in its membership and a union simply interested in the upper ranks. When you go from being a pilot to nothing more than a corrupt politician, you have lost and your membership loses.

I am sure the politicians running ALPA are completely ignorant of what a strong union can do for its pilots...and when you feel connected, what the pilots will do for themselves.

Cleared hot...

It simply demonstrates the difference between a strong union genuinely interested in its membership and a union simply interested in the upper ranks. When you go from being a pilot to nothing more than a corrupt politician, you have lost and your membership loses.

I am sure the politicians running ALPA are completely ignorant of what a strong union can do for its pilots...and when you feel connected, what the pilots will do for themselves.

Cleared hot...
Furthest from the truth......

It has to do with the law, who the 'sheriff' happens to be and policy interpretation of the 'sheriff'.

And simple discussion that scratches the ideological surface will revel a significant deficit of knowledge.

When the Midway Pilots were getting screwed, I didn't say anything... because I wasn't a Midway Pilot.

When the Aloha pilots were getting screwed, I didn't say anything... because I wasn't an Aloha pilot.

When the MidEx pilots were getting screwed, I didn't say anything... because I wasn't a MidEx pilot.

When the Emery pilots were getting screwed, I didn't say anything... because I wasn't a Emery pilot.

When the UFS pilots were getting screwed, I didn't say anything... because I wasn't a UFS pilot.

When the TWA pilots were getting screwed, I didn't say anything... because I wasn't a TWA pilot.

When the ABX pilots were getting screwed, I didn't say anything... because I wasn't an ABX pilot.

And when I got screwed, there was no left to speak for me.....

(borrowed)

Hey. What about ATA?

If its in the contract good for IPA if not "here come the judge".

This provision is in our contract. If UPS decides to contest this, it now becomes a part of the grievance process. If it wasn't in the contract, it would be a legal issue.

I'm not saying that UPS pilots don't have reason to complain.
But don't tell me they are abused. It's possible that UPS has a
legitimate need to cut costs. Do I know all sides of the story? No.
But it doesn't look to me as though Frank Lorenzo is about to
take over.

Never said we were abused, but we did offer over 130 million in voluntary saving, which they walked away from. We were actually working WITH the company to avoid a furlough and UPS walked away because their real intent was to open up our contract and have us take concessions. When you have a CEO that states the week before that "we have more cash on hand than we know what to do with", gonna find it hard that another solution could not have been worked out.

On another note, got a friend at FDX in the accounts department and says they are laughing all the way to the bank. Seems UPS is having some service failure problems on International volume. Now maybe it is something totally unrelated, but I know that there have been some problems with staffing the past week. Hmmmmmmmmmmm!

Latest resources

Back