Inverted on instruments

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gkrangers said:
I'm sure JFK Jr. would have loved to know..
Or better yet, maybe someday you'll be able to compare notes with him?

No JFk had a spacial disorientation problem. He flew into a hazy night with out IFR training. Lost his orientation with the horizon and therefore he ended uploosing control of the A/c. Sad huh. Look at them instuments usually they dont lie, unless broken.

Well...if your AI has tumbled, I would guess look for an increase in airspeed accompanied by a decrease in altitude with an increase in back pressure.

Of course, I'm not really sure that the opposite would hold true....could you climb inverted by using forward pressure?

I'm curious as to how the fuel gages would tell you you're inverted in IMC. I can understand that the engine wouldn't get any gas if its a gravity feed system, but how would the gages indicate?

-mini

Gyro Instruments - would tumble (in most GA aircrat), so color those AFU. No telling what they'll "read" but I wouldn't trust them.

Pitot Static Intruments - Do they care about aircraft attitude? No, they operate by ram and static presure difference, upside down right side up or side ways (in theory anyway). I'd expect them to be normal unless there was spare change, dirt, or mechanic finger nails bouncing around in the case.

Fuel - Wouldn't trust that one either in float type gauge system. If I had to guess, floats go to the top of the tank....FULL!

Electric Clock - Works!

RPM gauge - Normal until the lack of inverted oil system causes the engine to cease, then reads zero....which is a normal indication of a broken engine.

Radios - Works!

Wet Compass - It's off the gimble and indicating the heading your were flying (please correct for all the compass errors) when you went passed 90 degrees of bank.

My answer would be...."I dunno, let's be sure to try it during the check ride"

- wedge

This thread reminds me of a supposedly true story told to me by an ex-air force fighter pilot friend of mine. They were out somewhere on a 4-ship crosscountry flight. Three of the pilots decided that they were going to have a bit of fun with the other guy. The plan was to let the first airplane depart. The other three would delay their departure a bit then takeoff and join up with the other crew down range a ways. These guys supposedly were IMC and just before they formed up on the other airplane, they rolled inverted and tucked in fairly tight. As they came up on the lead, one of the three guys radioed: "Gringo 7 (or what ever they were) what are you trying to prove?" or words to that effect. Just then the three airplanes came up along side, inverted, in perfect formation. Talk about disorienting. My buddy said that the reaction, inflight, of the guy was one of the funniest things he's ever seen in his life. Oh well, maybe you would have had to have been there.

'Sled

captdorn81 said:
No JFk had a spacial disorientation problem. He flew into a hazy night with out IFR training. Lost his orientation with the horizon and therefore he ended uploosing control of the A/c. Sad huh. .
There goes the grassy knoll theory :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Lead Sled said:
.... Just then the three airplanes came up along side, inverted, in perfect formation. Talk about disorienting. My buddy said that the reaction, inflight, of the guy was one of the funniest things he's ever seen in his life. Oh well, maybe you would have had to have been there.

'Sled
Thanks...I needed a good chuckle today!

-mini

gkrangers said:
I thought they didn't tumble till over 100 degrees of bank and 60 degrees of pitch?
No IFH handy, but I think its 100 to 110 on the bank and 60 on pitch, definately not 60 on back.....:)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back