Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Almerick07

Professional Surf Bum
Ok so Ive been wondering what the right answer is during an interview when the, "what would you do if your captain shows up drunk?" questions rolls around??? Me personally would tell the Capt. to leave and call in sick. Is that what airlines want to hear?

The purpose of the question is to see how you'd handle a touchy situation with a superior. They also want to see if you can handle something like this discreetly or will you turn this into a spectacle.

Here's my answer: "Well, I would pull the Capt aside and say something like this: Look, Joe, if I am wrong about this, I apologize in advance, but I suspect you've been drinking and I think you should call in sick for this trip. At this point, if he has any sense, he will call in. If he doesn't, I will call the duty officer or the CP, but I'd give the guy a chance to do the right thing first".

Both should call in sick and head to the nearest bar to continue drinking!! If there is an attractive FA make sure she is sick also!

:beer:
Almerick07 said:
that would have been my answer...

Last edited:
Interestly enough, as an F/a I have been asked the same question. I usually tell the hiring authority, (if it is another crew member) to get a second person, to see if your suspicions are correct. Definately advise the person to call in sick if you can. Better yet, on layovers, I've actually told my crew to shut if off and go to bed when I worked charters. We would then all meet for coffee or breakfast in the morning and everyone appeared fresh with rest and happy. Try that as well. Your crew will be happy that you cared!

What about the question

Have you ever violated a SOP intentionally and why?

Were you ever pressured to break policy?

I have heard that you should try to pull a story from your experiences where you broke SOP for a safety issue outside of your control, or some sort of life or death mission that required bending the rules to complete.

Latest resources

Back