Interview Invite Message on Cell Phone

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TriStar_drvr

Last week I returned from a week long trip in the Middle East. Upon turning on my cell phone (there's no Cingular coverage in the U.A.E.) I had a voicemail from an HR lady asking if I was still interested in a pilot position. This was Sunday morning, and the message was from the Wednesday before.

So Monday I call her back and get her voice mailbox. I leave a message and wait. No response, so I call again on Wednesday. No reply again, so I call on Friday and leave a third message expressing my interest.

This Monday is of course a holiday. Should I call again on Tuesday, or wait for a response? I guess she could have taken the week off, but the suspense is killing me. Perhaps I've missed this interview group, but I don't want to be taken out of consideration.

Anyway, I'm curious what any of you would do. I'm suprised there wasn't a message on my home phone. I was in daily E-mail contact with my wife, so had the airline rep called my house, my wife would have let me know.

Believe it or not, this is the second time this has happened to me this summer. You'd think that when my resume/application says that my current position is a worldwide charter FO, that they might realize that I might be out of the country, and can't always respond immediately.

Oh well. Guess I'll spend the weekend wondering if I'll ever hear from her again.

No...The "burning question" IS:

WHY would you give a number that you are not able to be contacted at with 100% reliability?

I wouldn't even list the cell number as a contact just to preclude the possibility of the snag you are describing.

Hopefully, it won't cost you the job you are seeking.

YKW

Last edited:
How about...

Just a suggestion... given the relative importance of these calls, you might think of using any one of about a thousand methods to receive and check voice messages once per day.

I went back and looked at the online application that I submitted. The only phone number on it is my home phone number. My E-mail address is also on the app. I did have my cell number along with my home number on my resume. However it has been more than two years since I submitted a resume.

Well, I hope to get in contact with them next week.

As for checking voice messages every day, at least that'll get easier next month when I go back to only domestic flying again.

miles otoole said:
Yeah, just keep calling and leaving messages. Wasn't this out of a scene from "Swingers?"

You gotta wait three days. Industry standard is three days.

TriStar_drvr said:
I went back and looked at the online application that I submitted. The only phone number on it is my home phone number. My E-mail address is also on the app. I did have my cell number along with my home number on my resume. However it has been more than two years since I submitted a resume.

Well, I hope to get in contact with them next week.

As for checking voice messages every day, at least that'll get easier next month when I go back to only domestic flying again.

Sorry dude, but I punk'd you. We're all laughing with you...

Whine Lover said:
WHY would you give a number that you are not able to be contacted at with 100% reliability?
Gotta love the armchair quarterbacks, they come out even when it's not an accident.

A cell phone is just FINE for contacts. I have several friends that fly extensive international tours and their cell phone messages SAY that on them:

Hello, you've reached John Smith. I'm currently away from my phone and sometimes travel internationally for several weeks at a time. If this is an emergency, please contact 555-555-5555, otherwise, please leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks for calling".

I wouldn't even list the cell number as a contact just to preclude the possibility of the snag you are describing.
My cell phone was my ONLY point of contact for several years, and I received interview offers from 2 majors and a fractional over that time period, turned one down, got the other job.

Be patient, if worse comes to worse, PM me with the specific airline and I can give you some other HR numbers at any of the major pax airlines or LCC's currently hiring (except maybe CAL - don't know anyone there).

Hopefully, it won't cost you the job you are seeking.

YKW
If it does, you didn't want to work for them anyway. People who are that narrow-minded usually make for miserable working conditions.

TriStar;
For your info, Cingular works just fine in the U.A.E. and just about eveywhere, except Japan and South Korea, you do have to enable international roaming and use a tri or quad band phone.
Rates are expensive though.

Latest resources

Back