• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interview Foul Ups

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
...not an interview, but during the oral portion of my 37 type rating, we got to talking about the 60 year rule and how we both thought it was bogus, I said "well, you must have a couple good years left" (he looked about 55 at best).

He was 42.

When I interviewed at ACA in '92, I was paired with another pilot that I knew for the CP interview. Although I skimmed over the FAR part 135 regs the evening before I wasn't quite up to understanding them yet.

The CP asked me "So Mike, what do you need at your alternate to be lagal under part 135?" I thought for a moment and said "You know, I did study this last night but I don't think I can answer that question accurately. Instead of guesing for you, I know that John here (the other pilot) can answer it for you."

He answered fine and we are both still here today as Standards Captains.

About when I realized that these guys wanted WAY more of a committment than I would give (it's like employers are all 22 year old females)...

Q: "Why did you leave that job?"

A: "I had an opportunity to go mountaineering in the high Himalayas for a few months."

Q: "Why did you leave this job?"

A: "I was presented the opportunity to mountaineer a little bit in Antarctica and South America."

Q: "And your last job, did you leave that one to go mountaineering?"

A: "Yeah, the opportunity to go back to the Himalayas was just too good to pass up on."

Q: "You have had a lot of opportunities to go mountaineering."

A: "Well it's easy when you quit your job because they won't let you go play in the Mountains!"

Amazingly enough, I think they still were interested in me at that point. At one point in the interview, I was actually asked "you aren't a musician by any chance are you?"

Dan

Interview foul-ups

I interviewed at Mesa in 1991. Grady Reed, the Vice-President of whatever, interviewed me. At the end of the interview, he asked if I had any questions. At that time, RJs were being developed. There were articles about them in professional pilot magazines. So, I asked him if Mesa planned to obtain RJs. He said "no" and his annoyance at my question was obvious. I was not hired.

I don't feel I fouled-up by asking that question - but I probably did foul-up by asking a question. Lesson learned the hard way. Do not ask questions if invited to at interviews.

People disagree if one should ask questions if invited at interviews. Some say you must ask questions to prove that you're interested in the company and how you would fit in. I felt that I was showing my interest in Mesa by asking my question. Therefore, I see it as a gambit intended to qualify or disqualify you for the job. For that reason alone, I say, decline the gambit. Maybe another plan would be to follow trial strategy. A good trial lawyer never asks a question in trial for which he/she does not know the answer. Or, ask a question where there will not be a "no" for an answer.

Last edited:
My first ever airline interview was with Liberty Express in 1995.

Not coming the night before, I got bumped from the first available PIT-Du Bois flight. They weren't happy that I was "late".

I brought a green school knapsack instead of a briefcase. (Hey, it's easier to carry!)

My shoes were new but not broken-in so I was limping. Both my heels were soon bleeding.

I had shaved at 0400 and didn't get the one-on-one interview until 1600 so I was looking a bit less than fresh.

The interview was interrupted for twenty minutes while the CP took a conference call. When he hung up he asked me "what were we talking about?" and I had no idea.

He asked if I was a smoker and I exclaimed "NO!" a bit too loudly (I hate smokers). He was thus convinced that I was indeed a smoker and trying to hide it.

Near the end of the interview he stopped asking me questions and started coaching me on how to answer when (if) I interview somewhere again. He did me a huge favor.

funny about your ex.:D

I went to an interview and studied for every portion of the techical part. Night and day i went through airspace, FARs, systems but when the HR person asked me what seperates me from other candidates, my mind just went blank and i just couldnt come up with a good bullshiiiiat answer. I just stayed silent and couldnt think of anything. After what seemed like minutes, i told her that "i am more desperate than the other pilots and i dont really care about QOL."

Needless the say, i didnt get the job. I found a better job couple of weeks later.

Latest resources

Back