Interview Foul Ups

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jetexas

We've all done them or heard of them. Does anyone have some good stories in this area?
I was talking to a guy the other night who had an interview with a British airline several years ago. When asked "what makes you angry??" he stumbled for an answer and, for some reason, came up with "when I set my car on fire!!". He didn't get the job.I almost choked on my beer over that one!

Not really a foul up, but it could have been one.

I interviewed for a gig a few years ago. Went out to dinner and drinks with the CP and ended up getting kinda drunk (he was too). I went to bed that night thinking "Welp...that was stupid". I was offered the job the next day.

Part of my resume was the fact that I spoke a bit of french (I know, I know...). A pretty female screener was asking me some questions. "You speak French?" "Yup" "Say something in French for me."

Slightly panicked, I said "Vous etes tres joli mademoiselle". "Oh, what does that mean?" she asked.

Gulp. It means "You are very beautiful." She could have taken that two ways. Fortunately, she was pleased. I did get the job.

Actual answer

"Why didn't you fill out the second page of your application?" Answer "This is a freight dog outfit, nobody cares, so why bother” was not hired.

There I was sitting in front of a Line Captain, a Manager and a woman from HR when I was asked, “What the stupidest thing you’ve ever done in an airplane?” Easy question, right?

I’m blank…Nothing…Zip…Nada…

O.K. One bad story pops in my pea brain and it won’t leave so out it comes…

I’m flying checks in a C210 and my courier is very late. I’ve been drinking coffee for just over an hour when he finally shows up. I loaded my cargo and departed. Shortly after takeoff I had to “use the restroom - #1” but I had nowhere to go. I still had a long flight ahead of me so I decided to use my Ziplock sandwich bag. No problem. Things were fine until I tried to shove it out the window and it exploded all over me. Not good and really quite stupid.

The Line Capt was laughing so hard he was crying, the manager was smiling also, and the woman from HR excused herself from the interview, never to return.

The thanks-but-no-thanks letter showed up two weeks later.

Where I hang my hat

I interviewed with Cathay Pacific and relocation to Hong Kong was mandatory for the position.

The interviewer asked me: Do you like living in Alaska?

Me (sitting up straight, beaming, great eye contact): I *LOVE* it!

In retrospect, wrong answer. No job (for various other reasons).

*loud wet fart sound*

ME(in my best Peter Griffin voice): Wasn't me hehehehe

JK
Jobear

there are dork mechanices too

'Oh, I am in the process of finding a lawyer to sue the last company I worked for because they fired me....."

At least I did not have a restraining order against me by the HR biach or an arrest warrent for threating to bomb the place.

pilotyip said:
"Why didn't you fill out the second page of your application?" Answer "This is a freight dog outfit, nobody cares, so why bother” was not hired.
"why didn't you ever get a college degree?"

pilotyip said:
Answer "This is a freight dog outfit, nobody cares, so why bother”
When can you start?

Latest resources

Back