Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interview attire? Dark Blue&Gray VS Black?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't worry too much about the suit. These days, most regionals would hire CA1900's Avatar if given the opportunity.

My father used to run an accounting firm. He told the story of a guy who came in for an interview wearing a purple suit with an orange shirt (can't remember the color of the tie). Needless to say, he didn't get the job, though the suit was only part of the problem.

Bottom line - look professional, nothing outlandish in color choices and put as much polish into your interviewing skills as on your interview shoes.

You guys are out of your mind. You wear a suit to an interview to look professional and to show your future employer what you look like in a suit. As long as the suit fits nicely and is stylish (i.e. no 1965 high waters) you will be fine. The idea is simply not to stand out. Black is fine.

Dark Blue, and SINGLE BREASTED. White shirt, and a nice forgettable tie.

Take off your tinfoil helmet. They aren't out to get you after all.

If you can afford a nice navy-blue or charcoal gray suit (something from Brooks Brothers or similar in the $400-$600 range), then you should do it. The posters here saying that it doesn't matter may be right, or they may be wrong. It depends on who's interviewing you. Some interviewers care, some don't. To make a blanket statement that it doesn't matter isn't really right. You'll probably be ok with the black, but maybe not. So, if you really want this job, then go with the traditional interview colors. Black is for weddings and funerals. Blue and gray are for interviews and business.

Black, blue, gray, yeah, just look professional. If someone wont hire you based soley on the color of your SUIT, do you really want to work there?

You're interviewing at a regional. Do you have a heartbeat? You could get hired wearing a sport coat and pants from Walmart.

Suit color does not matter. As long as it's clean, fits, somewhat conservative, something you are comfortable in, and with a decent tie plus you DON'T smell like cigarette smoke, cheap aftershave/cologne or garlic and onions you will be fine.

If you can afford a nice navy-blue or charcoal gray suit (something from Brooks Brothers or similar in the $400-$600 range), then you should do it. The posters here saying that it doesn't matter may be right, or they may be wrong. It depends on who's interviewing you. Some interviewers care, some don't. To make a blanket statement that it doesn't matter isn't really right. You'll probably be ok with the black, but maybe not. So, if you really want this job, then go with the traditional interview colors. Black is for weddings and funerals. Blue and gray are for interviews and business.

This may be your first interview, but odds are it won't be your last. I've gone to 8 airline interviews. Looking back, was a nice suit that I can be comfortable with a bad investment? Certainly not. Just get a great suit so that you have one less thing to worry about when the really big interview comes around.

I ended up with a dedicated portfolio, dedicated mini-briefcase, and other accessories strictly for airline interviews. Getting a job IS your job.

Latest resources

Back