Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Typhoon1244

Member in Good Standing
My wife is into crafts (scrapbooking, stamping, etc.) in a big way. Recently, one of her web searches for supplies took her to something called Cool Search. Now, whenever she starts Internet Explorer, it opens at the Cool Search website instead of at Yahoo!'s site (which is what she wants).

I've reset the initial page several times, but inevitably, Cool Search will rear its head after a day or so. I've run SpyBot Search & Destroy on her machine...wiped out a lot of annoying cookies, but Cool Search persists.

Anybody know how to get rid of this SOB?

Tech Tv addressed that issue on Mon or Tuesday. They called hijacking your home page. I do not recall the cure but they did address it.

Link

Hope this helps.

Try downloading Ad-aware. I have had good luck with this program removing any offending spy-ware type entities on my PC. Also, check your add/remove programs function on your settings menu. Go through the list of programs and remove anything that looks like you didn't intend to have it on your computer.

My $.02
SK:cool:

Also try Adaware.. (Once you install it, make sure you download the latest definitions file. You do that from within the program.)

First, empty the cookies and temp files. Run spybot again.

Now, go to the MS website and make certain you have the recent security service patch for IE6. The site will scan your computer to see what you need, if anything.

Also, check for other fixxes on the Kim Komando website.

http://www.komando.com/

Home page hijacks are a pain. :(

ALso try this:

-Click on Start
-Click on Run
-type 'msconfig'

Now depending on what version of Windows you have, the next window will look different, but they all have some sort of "Startup" tab or selection. Click on that and have a look at what starts automatically when turning on your computer. I'll bet you'll see something about Coolsearch in there. I had the same problem with something called Xupiter. Totally took over, and going to the startup page and deselecting it was huge in getting rid of it. Be careful what you start turning off in there though, there are somethings you need. Have fun.

Good luck

Dash8 said:
switch to Mozilla a much better, faster, cleaner browser with good skin support, built in pop up stopping, tabbed browsing, better integrated email program with built in learning spam blockers, can't ask for much more, oh yeah, it's FREE!!!!

Gotta STRONGLY second this comment. Switched to Mozilla over a year ago; there's no going back. Everyone I've recommended it to has also been happy.

I have to second the AdAware by Lavasoft suggestion. There is a 95% chance AdAware will get rid of it, and if it doesn't, just wait a few days until the next data update comes out and then it will find it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back