International Commute

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where do you want to live FC?

anyway.. I know of at least 2 other guys doing the europe-usa commute..

One American guy living in the US who works for KLM (MD11), and one Dutch 747-200 captain at NWA who lives in the Netherlands...

Know of many that does it. Used to be easy to get jump seats but not anymore. Today most use non-rev tickets or some, that does not go back and forth too often, would even budget in buying verified seats at times. On some routes there are lots of flights. AA for example have about 5 direct flights each day from JFK to LHR. With the ZED tickets it is even easier

FlyChicaga said:
Carribean Sun pilot? I think I used to work with him. He was doing Australia to Chicago for a while, if it's the same guy.
Same cat. I think he worked 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off.

3 weeks on, 3 off ain't too bad. That still is one long-ass haul to work though!

Commuting

I talk to a lot of crew because of my work.

I live in Hawaii: I have met a flock of guys who commute from here (any of several islands) to LAX, SFO, ORD -- and one who commutes to ATL. -- Not technically "international," but the distance is equivalent to a lot of international commutes.

Have talked to some Air France crews who commute from Guadeloupe and Martinique to CDG, and have been doing so for years.

Also talked to quite a few contract pilots for an assortment of Asian carriers who commute to SIN or HKG for example, from various ports in Europe and Australia. I know others who work out of DXB and "live" in England, Sweden, Norway, Germany.

One corporate FA I know commutes from SYD to GUM.

In sum, I think it happens quite a lot.

Do I think it's a good idea? Hey, that's MAX wear and tear!! But if you're up to it....:rolleyes:

Flyingdutchman said:
Where do you want to live FC?

Well honestly, I have a strong desire to live in Paris for a year. I enjoy the city, and think it would be an awesome experience to live abroad for a while. I figured that with my job, it would be impossible. But, I'm hearing more and more about people who make it work, so maybe it's a reality at some point. We'll see.

FlyChicaga said:
Worth it?
I would say that any commute longer than you have to isn't worth it if you can avoid it. People commute for many reasons. If you are single and do it for a period it's probably ok - just give yourself enough options to get to work on time. It will add stress to your life if you are concerned about getting to work because there is always the uncertainty of not getting on or that your flight cancels. Few people that I know will commute indefinitely unless there is a really strong reasons such as your spouse having a career and can't move. I know some that have commuted from Europe to the US for the last 10 years.

Last edited:
why france!!! go to London, Amsterdam, Rome, Madrid.. ! ;)

Just kidding. Paris is a great city.. Don't forget to bring your creditcard..

You are right. It's an awesome experience to live abroad for a while..
Goodluck!

Yeah I dunno! I studied French for 5 years, and went to Paris (and Europe) for the first time in December. It was so different than I imagined. Everyone was very cool and helpful, and I had a great time. The one thing everyone said was "you can't experience Europe on vacation." It's true. I have a friend living and working in London right now, and I'm very jealous. I'll have to give it some thought.

BTW... I figured I'd try to head back to Paris again soon. Which city should be next on my list to hit?

Latest resources

Back