Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
indianboy7 said:
Sprint has GSM??? Did i miss something..I thought they were all PCS CDMA????/

They only have one phone that I know of. Good luck getting anybody to explain anything about their international service...

EB

sprint and verizon piggyback with a GSM provider to be able to offer international cell phones. It's a werid deal that's a billing nightmare.

Cingular and Tmo are true GSM providers that have an established international plan.

Of course Cingular has an excellent plan but i'm bias. You can pick up a cheap quadband phone like a moto v60 for dirt cheap on ebay. If you allready have the sim chip from your current provider.

Cingular Nokia Tri Band Phones...

Like any other purchase, you gotta bust Cingular's cajones to get everything just right, but they offer great Nokia Tri Band Cells and a North American Package that allows you to call anywhere in North America at a discounted rate and a $5.99/month package that lets you call Europe at a discounted rate as well. Get a good rate on a data package for baseball and football scores and weather over the net.

The key is turning your phone off in flight and letting it reset itself to figure out "where" it is. Call customer service from the first country you get to and get them to tweak it right and get you all right for the next legs and trips. Expect goofs at first and be patient. You have to speak to a phone representative who's don this before: do not trust them to get it right the first time. Get it right and you'll be all set.

Learn how to dial other countries and the US. Usually the US is just a +1 (which is 2 strokes on the * sign and the number 1).

Good Luck and be persistent.

Something you might want to get done if you plan on making any calls from one country to another country (NOT the USA)

Call up cingular and tell them you want your account released. It takes about 5 days and this way you'll be able to call from one country to another (not the US).

The reason they do this is so they block your sim chip from getting cloned and someone using it overseas calling from one country to another. If you know you're going to be doing calling like this or even if you don't I'd recommend having the block removed.

You might never know when you're at an FBO in one country and you want to call to make sure your hotels are set up for the next night.

Latest resources

Back