International Cell Phone

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

El Bucho

I have Sprint right now, and they have a Samsung GSM phone which I'm looking into. Any other suggestions for international phones? I don't need to stay with sprint, my work cell (Nextel sucks) has a sim card which I can put into any GSM phone and calls will directly bill to the company. So, anybody have this Samsung Sprint phone, or suggest another good GSM international phone? Thanks.

EB

I like T Mobile as they're owned by Deutsche Telekom AG, and thus the service internationally is great. Domestically it's as good as any.

for the phone - I like the blackberry. Great for email, decent basic internet access, and its a true quad band gsm/gprs phone with bluetooth voice capability.

T Mobile will also unlock the phone shortly after setting up - allowing you to use it with other companies sim cards... something most companies in the states don't do.

if you want another service provider - just get yourself a nokia phone and go use http://www.unlockme.co.uk/ to unlock it, then buy yourself a local sim card when in europe or where ever.

otherwise - just use the phone in the plane and bill it to the customers.

fg

Everybody in my part of the world has Nokia phones. When it comes to cell phone selection the U.S. is in the stone age. Next time you are out of the States, especially if you are in Europe or Asia you can find much better Nokia dual and tri-band phones.

The general consensus around here is that Samsungs are crap, at least the ones the company was giving out awhile ago.

TP

If you want a true "World Phone" you want a QUAD Band (850/1900 900/1800) GSM phone... I have a Motorola V551 on Cingular and have been very happy with it... The International coverage is very good and the domestic coverage far exceeds T-Mobile...

You could always buy a sat phone, and it will work almost anywhere.
They are a little more expensive, but you can use it in the plane, on the train, or anywhere you can see the sky. The downside, of course, is that you have to see the sky for it to work

Recently treated myself to a Sony Ericsson K750i. It's a triband and works flawlessly in most of the world, USA included. It's got a 2 megapixel camera with autofocus, so doubles as a digicam too. Can even record up to 1 hour of video, if you so choose. Comes standard with a memory stick and around 150mb of memory, but additional sticks can of course be purchased. Will of course play mp3 ring phones and has an FM radio too. Also got a flight simulator (SAAB JAS-39 Gripen of course) as a game, and a neat little application with a globe and timezones. About the only thing it doesn't do is open my beer! Oh, unlike most US phones I've seen, there is no stupid antenna sticking out. Antennas are, like, sooo 90's!

It's the bee's knees and it was a bargain at 149 BHD in the Bahrain taxfree. You can find the same phone at a somewhat higher price most places in Europe.

Quick edit to add that a Nokia 6230 or 6250 will do the same as the Ericsson and at roughly the same price. I just prefer the design of the Ericsson and the graphic menu control over that of Nokia. Samsung make some pretty neat phones too.

Last edited:
Falcon Capt said:
If you want a true "World Phone" you want a QUAD Band (850/1900 900/1800) GSM phone... I have a Motorola V551 on Cingular and have been very happy with it... The International coverage is very good and the domestic coverage far exceeds T-Mobile...

Ditto what FC says,

quad band and Cingular works everywhere I have been International...and the domestic coverage far exceeds T-Mobile. Plan Rates also seem comparable between the two. Motorola's quad bands have always held up real well for me.

FWIW I would not ditch a tri band to get a quad band...my tri band has always worked everywhere the quad does.

Also check into local sim chips. If you are somewhere for longer periods of time and may use it locally a lot (Like London for example) plug in a local chip and talk at local rates. good deal!

indianboy7 said:
Sprint has GSM??? Did i miss something..I thought they were all PCS CDMA????/

My guess is the Nextel merger has allowed then to advertise Intl capability as Nextel does...although its terrible coverage compared to Cingular/Tmobile.

Latest resources

Back