• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interesting read on 1549

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
" He said that by creating an airplane that will not allow pilots to go outside certain flight parameters, they devised a craft that “will intervene to keep people alive.”"

OUI! Certainment!

Kato, You FOOL!

Zees aerocraft weel keep you alive Monsieur.

Unless you are over zee Ocean and run into some of zee rain, or perhaps, you are in Gay Par-ee, and you foolishly bring it near zee trees...Zen, I sink not so much, you foolish Americain Peeg-Dogs you!

I am now having a washing of my hands of thees...You uncultured, Swines.

YK-Pierre

Last edited:
Something most professional pilots already knew about 1549

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/11/books/11book.html?hpw

Mr. Langewiesche, like many airline CEOs and managers who have pilots licences arrogantly assume that the job of a professional airline pilot is just as easy as flying their Bonanza from Teterboro to the Hamptons. This jack hole in the interest of making a buck feels the need to desparage Sully and his fine crew. After all, he was able to do the water landing himself when he tried it on Flight Sim.

Last edited:
Mr. Langewiesche, like many airline CEOs and managers who have pilots licences arrogantly assume that the job of a professional airline pilot is just as easy as flying their Bonanza from Teterboro to the Hamptons. This jack hole in the interest of making a buck feels the need to desparage Sully and his fine crew. After all, he was able to do the water landing himself when he tried it on Flight Sim.

Wow - with your vast background I tremble to address your post. Obviously you disagree with the author and trash his pedigree - too bad he couldn't bring everything to the table that you do.

In your infinite wisdom, of course, you are aware that Mr. Langewiesche is the son of Wolfgang Langewiesche who wrote "Stick and Rudder" in 1944. This was considered the bible for learning to fly for decades by thousands of esteemed aviators. He grew up in an aviation household surrounded by aviators during the golden age of aviation. I guess he could have spent some time droning around the SouthEast in a Brasilia to qualify his remarks.

Maybe if your ego deflates you could read other EXCELLENTLY researched articles by Mr. Langewiesche such as his exhaustive research into TWA 800 or the Columbia accident before you go off half cocked and uninformed. Maybe you could even get a little time in the A-320 as well as a variety of older ones before determining the veracity of the authors point of view. You might even realize that he was not trashing Mr Sullenberger as much as offering a point view a little more nuanced than slathering hero worship.

Last edited:
After reading the article I for one couldn't care less who this Mr. Langewiesche is or where he came from. His comments in this book reveal someone ignorant of the airline piloting profession.

He says, “If you had to pick the most desirable trait for airline pilots, it would probably be placidity". Really? Where do I start here? There's a lot more to being an airline pilot than the basic mechanics of stick and rudder flying. Wasn't it the placidity of a ConExpress Captain not too long ago that kept her pax inside an airplane all night long because there was no TSA on duty at the diversionary airport. Is that what we want? Many times the airline pilot is the last link in the chain of an accident. The airline pilot is the "safety net". It's a position where you are sometimes presented with difficult situations that require you to ACT, and sometimes think out-of-the-box. Is this the position where you'd want a "placid-mainstream-Marvin"?

His "point of view" as you put it thruthemurk belittles, diminishes and degrades the profession. Are you surprised by the negative responses? Not sure what his beef is with airline pilots?

I suspect Mr. Langewiesche, who currently lives in Paris, is on the Airbus payroll, or at the very least has a relative on the Airbus board.

I did like his Dad's book though...

Astroglider

Last edited:
Wow - with your vast background I tremble to address your post. Obviously you disagree with the author and trash his pedigree - too bad he couldn't bring everything to the table that you do.

In your infinite wisdom, of course, you are aware that Mr. Langewiesche is the son of Wolfgang Langewiesche who wrote "Stick and Rudder" in 1944. This was considered the bible for learning to fly for decades by thousands of esteemed aviators. He grew up in an aviation household surrounded by aviators during the golden age of aviation. I guess he could have spent some time droning around the SouthEast in a Brasilia to qualify his remarks.

Maybe if your ego deflates you could read other EXCELLENTLY researched articles by Mr. Langewiesche such as his exhaustive research into TWA 800 or the Columbia accident before you go off half cocked and uninformed. Maybe you could even get a little time in the A-320 as well as a variety of older ones before determining the veracity of the authors point of view. You might even realize that he was not trashing Mr Sullenberger as much as offering a point view a little more nuanced than slathering hero worship.

His father, like his son was never in command of an airliner. I guess because of his father's background and his articles in Vanity Fair and The Atlantic Monthly he must be duly qualified. Again, he is just an author trying to sell books, too bad Sarah Palin's book just hit the bookstores.

I find it interesting with your "14,000 hours", that you referred to him as Mr. not Captain Sullenberger, I'm sure someone with your deep well of experience understands the subtle difference. Maybe you could please enlighten us with your aviation background?

Now, back to my book, "Proficient Flying" by Captain Barry Schiff..........

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back