• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interesting PIREP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
lol, i saw that one yesterday when i was using duats, about 9 or 10 am. i thought it was pretty funny.

with all the haze in the area yesterday, depending on if you were facing into the sun or not, visibility varied greatly. no sun, you could see about 5 miles. into the sun, forget it. the vis was pretty low.

StrykerFL said:
I've spent the last week flying in the Orlando area in this low vis and haze and the only thing I was afraid of was being in the vicinity of DCA.

"Reesburg traffic, cornection 254 over shorerine rake Apopoka, srow fright."

:D
LMFAO!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

cforst513 said:
lol, i saw that one yesterday when i was using duats, about 9 or 10 am. i thought it was pretty funny.

with all the haze in the area yesterday, depending on if you were facing into the sun or not, visibility varied greatly. no sun, you could see about 5 miles. into the sun, forget it. the vis was pretty low.

Same thing up by JAX this weekend. I couldn't see a thing in front of me or to the side, but I could see down. Seemed to vary from mostly 3 to occasionaly 5 vis until DAB, where it slowly got better. It was an interesting experience to fly in min VFR. Past MLB it was very clear.

Pirep a couple years back said "pilot sitting in his truck in a field watching his house blow away". This was during a strong hurricane back in 2002 either in LA or the far east TX area.

I saw one once reported by a PA44, 3000' over TPA during a nasty winter front passage. He reported severe turbulence and the quote in the PIREP was "It was hell." :eek:

EagleRJ said:
ATC is required to include any "descriptive language" that pilots use in making PIREPS, to better pass along what kind of conditions are out there. I've seen some humorous PIREPs in the past. "Getting bounced around like a basketball" is a favorite.

I remember one when I was flying the canyon. It went something like this: Turbulence moderate. Remarks "The little white bags are being used."

I worked with a CFI who used to try to make up a funny (but accurate) remark for all his PIREPS and check DUATS as soon as he came back from the flight to see how they put it in there. I've since adopted his technique with my students. Makes learning and giving PIREPS fun! More PIREPS make safer flights for everyone!

wrxpilot said:
Same thing up by JAX this weekend. I couldn't see a thing in front of me or to the side, but I could see down. Seemed to vary from mostly 3 to occasionaly 5 vis until DAB, where it slowly got better. It was an interesting experience to fly in min VFR. Past MLB it was very clear.

Jeebus people training in Flordia need to come to the midwest in the summertime to fly...haze like that is a daily thing in IN/OH/KY! Westbound in the evening is even more sporty, still legal but next to zero forward vis. Its a very humbling situation for students to be in and a great learning tool for the CFI that isn't comfortable enough or able to take their primary students into IMC.

I'm gonna have to start giving more pireps. :)

Latest resources

Back