Interesting analysis of the "Big Six"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Attaboy OPIE,

I read this thread yesterday and needed some time to get my thoughts together before posting. I am not in the 121 business, by choice, but I do know a few things about flying and business.

There are lots of inequities in life, such as pro sports' paychecks, some of whom have the mentality of a chair, actors, etc. It goes on and on. However, they gain their wealth because people are willing to pay the price for their contributions. Our economy is consumer driven. If I can go nonstop from ATL to SFO and return for $300 or less on a LCC compared to $1,000 or more on a Legacy which one do you think I will take? To add insult to injury the Legacy types act like they are doing you a favor to boot!

The good old days are gone, guys and gals. No longer will you be able to knock down $300K/year while working 10 days/month and start a business on the side since you have so much idle time and extra cash. Do you really think that the pups coming up in this business wouldn't be happy to do their job and cap out at $150K in today's money? If they aren't then they are dillusional.

SWA seems to have it together, along with some others. Their people reap of the happiness of doing a good job, being paid fairly well for it and of course, working for a great company. Hey, they even act like you are doing them a favor....and you are!

Athletes and actors aside, do you really think that it is right for an airline type to make more than most VPs in billion dollar companies when those same VPs work 6 days/week? Come on!

You either love flying or you don't. If this flying business is just a means to get that pot of gold then, in my opinion, you are in it for the wrong reason.

Management without vision and greedy employees who act in a condescending way towards the very people who pay the bills have created this situation. The layers of fat in many of the Legacy types, or as they are called, is deep. Ineffectiveness spews from all aspects of their actions. It is still all about customer service and not lip service.

We all should take pride in our individual skills since that is what makes us successful and allows us to "arrive alive" after each and every flight. Focus on your skills and what you bring to the table in terms of your contribution to this industry.....not your paycheck, if you have enough to live on. If they pay is not enough to live "in the manner in which you think you deserve" then get out. There is always the chance to work like most do....six days/week and just get by.

OPIE's and my early life experiences are similar. I came from nothing and have had a chance to rise economically because of my dedication and focus. I am where I want to be and that is not just working 10 days/month at $300K/year.

Writing a Check for the extra Money

MACH ONE Wrote
So are you going to write a check to Southwest each month for anything over 160/hour? That is over the "line" in your book.

Well in a sense "YES", I have tithed 10% to my church for years now and give to my niece who is a missionary, plus the Government is going to tax the heck out of me.

I know a successful man who when he was starting out in his buisness was struggling financially, but still tithed 10% to his church. Over the years he kept increasing his percentage of tithing as his buisness got bigger and he made more money. Now he gives >50% of his income to his church and charities. He jokingly said that he is going to stop giving because God has blessed him to the point that his company and wealth have gotten almost to much for him to handle.

To answer your question, No I don't plan to write SWA a check for the overage. But I will work my butt off for them and enjoy everyday to the max extent possible. But, YES I will right a check for the overage to my church and charities if God decides to continue to bless me with good health and a successful career with a great company like SWA. There is one thing my parent's taught me and that is that I can't out give God.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back