Instrument Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gavin

I was wondering how quickly you can get your instrument rating (one month? two months? more? less?)? I can go to school everyday.

Also, what about ME/COMM.

Thanks a lot for your help

If you have your private it's reasonable to get it done in a month flying every day. If you can find an instructor that will fly in actual (except for ice and t-storms of course). Get your basic attitude flying down! It's the most important part. Also...if you study hard and get the written done...learn the regs, how to read the charts, etc. You can get it done quick.

I guess it would also depend on the airport and the equipment. What kind of approaches do you have to shoot for the checkride? (Nav equipment on board).

PM me if you have any questions.

-mini

I see that you haven't yet earned a Private certificate, and you're asking about the instrument, multi and commercial. Perhaps you might want to look into a program that provides the Private to Commercial or CFI if that's your ultimate goal. Some of these programs can finish you up in as little as 6-7 months. Most of these places are part 141 pilot factories that, depending on the schools reputation, may or may not teach you a thing. Part 61, IMO will yield more concrete knowledge and a broader spectrum of experience.

To answer your question, yes, it can be done in any of the time frames you have mentioned. It all depends on many factors. Things like aptitude, time available, weather, aircraft availability, maintenance, instructor availability, etc. As you can see, there are many things that can lengthen or shorten the duration of your training. They say the IFR ticket is one of the hardest to obtain, quite possibly harder than the Private. There's a lot of material to know and many flying skills to be learned. So don’t necessarily expect to breeze right through it if you want to actually learn something.

The commercial and multi rating will probably be much quicker than earning the instrument rating. The commercial is more or less an extension of some private maneuvers along with a few new ones. The multi should probably go even quicker. Although most places can get your multi in a matter of days, you’re by no means proficient in one. It’s gonna take a lot of experience in a twin before you truly have mastery of it. Those quick courses only get you the rating and if anything was a license to learn, it’s the multi rating.

At any rate, if you intend on becoming an instructor, talk yourself through every maneuver during your training. It'll make the CFI much easier as you have to demonstrate this on the checkride.

Latest resources

Back