Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JediNein said:
groundpointsix said:
AOPA fought hard to prevent multiple instrument instructor certificates. They won. Instrument instructor applies to "airplane", not number of engines. They also fought to prevent two certificates needed for instrument instructing in twins.

Start at the beginning, read all the way through, and this time stop at Pphishhman's post.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

You're right, you only need one instrument instructor rating. However you still need an instructor rating for the cat/class that you'll be teaching in as well. That's not multiple instrument instructor ratings. Your one instrument instructor rating applys to any and all airplane ratings on your CFI certificate, just like the one on your pilot certificate (the wording is identical).

phishhman said:
Just make sure you are teaching instrument procedures, not multi procedures. Once you start dealing with single-engine approaches and holding, you need an ME.

How can you possible fly a MULTI ENGINE AIRPLANE and not teach multi-procedures?

From the FARs (61.195):

(c) Instrument Rating. A flight instructor who provides instrument flight training for the issuance of an instrument rating or a type rating not limited to VFR must hold an instrument rating on his or her flight instructor certificate and pilot certificate that is appropriate to the category and class of aircraft in which instrument training is being provided.

It is simply spelled out YOU MUST HAVE A MULIT RATING ON BOTH TICKETS. There is no way around it PERIOD!

DC8 Flyer said:
How can you possible fly a MULTI ENGINE AIRPLANE and not teach multi-procedures?

From the FARs (61.195):

(c) Instrument Rating. A flight instructor who provides instrument flight training for the issuance of an instrument rating or a type rating not limited to VFR must hold an instrument rating on his or her flight instructor certificate and pilot certificate that is appropriate to the category and class of aircraft in which instrument training is being provided.

It is simply spelled out YOU MUST HAVE A MULIT RATING ON BOTH TICKETS. There is no way around it PERIOD!
What if the instruction isn't for "the issuance of an instrument rating or a type rating not limited to VFR"?

HMR said:
What if the instruction isn't for "the issuance of an instrument rating or a type rating not limited to VFR"?

The long answer is look at 61.195(b)
The short answer is you have to have a MEI

HMR said:

Then its not instruction and you are just acting as a safety pilot.

I dont say that to belittle it is simply a clarification. Instruction implies loggable time by both parties. If I have a ASEL Commercial Instrument ticket and a CFI I cannot take my friend up and put him under the hood and then log dual received in his logbook for the time required for an instrument rating but HE can log instrument time towards the total instrument time required for his rating. I can of course log dual given.

Same thing applies if you have a ASMEL Instrument Commercial Ticket with a CFI and CFII ticket. Of course you take someone up who has a Multi-Engine rating of some kind and do safety pilot stuff, but if that person does not have any multi-engine ratings that person cannot log anytime with you. You on the other hand can log all the time as PIC but not dual given. There is no benefit to someone who has no multi-engine ratings flying with some who has ASMEL Inst Comm CFII, they cannot log the time and the rated pilot can only log PIC. Thus NOT INSTRUCTION.

The question and intent was: Can someone who does not have and MEI but has a CFII and a ASMEL Inst Comm ticket give instrument instruction? No they cannot, because the regs require you to have both category and class on both tickets to instruct in that category and class.

The regs used to not specify category and class on the instructor ticket and that is where this little urban legend comes from, it wasnt too long ago that it was changed either.

DC8 Flyer- Until recently, I was in complete agreement with your above post. I understand your point. After reviewing the AOPA & Jeppesen explanations I've been leaning more towards what JediNein said.

HMR said:
DC8 Flyer- Until recently, I was in complete agreement with your above post. I understand your point. After reviewing the AOPA & Jeppesen explanations I've been leaning more towards what JediNein said.

The problem is, Jeppesen and AOPA dont make or enforce the regs, either does the NTSB.

To me its simple, you just cannot give instruction in a twin, no matter if its IFR or VFR, instruction meaning logging dual instrument time for issuance of a rating, unless you have an MEI and CFII.

The quirky thing is you can get your CFI and MEI then get your CFII in a single engine airplane and never have to demonstrate proficiency in teaching instruments in a twin, I think :p .

Unless someone can post a ruling by a judge where someone had been violated by the FAA for giving instrument instruction in a twin without an MEI I stand firmly by my, and most others, belief. Thats not to say Im not wrong but I wouldn't be willing to test it on my certificate/career. Besides if you are not an MEI are you really qualified/safe to be giving instruction in a twin?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back