Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pgcfii2002

"Uh....oh yeah...&quo
Regarding the 6 approaches preceding 6 months rule, can these be accomplished in a FTD?

Yes, if the FTD is certified for approaches and you have a CFI there. Except for realizing that sims and FTDs need to be certified for certain flight maneuvers, it's pretty much covered in 61.57(c) (the currency requirements) and, as usual 61.51 (the logging rule)

Regarding the 6 approaches preceding 6 months rule, can these be accomplished in a FTD?

Yes. 14 CFR Part 61.57(c)(1). However, don't confuse a FTD with a personal computer. A Flight Training Device is define in 61.1(b)(7) as "a device that—

(i) Is a full-size replica of the instruments, equipment, panels, and controls of an aircraft, or set of aircraft, in an open flight deck area or in an enclosed cockpit, including the hardware and software for the systems installed, that is necessary to simulate the aircraft in ground and flight operations;

(ii) Need not have a force (motion) cueing or visual system; and

(iii) Has been evaluated, qualified, and approved by the Administrator."

This is a Frasca 141 or similar type unit.

Does a CFII have to be present?

I'd like to log the FTD time, even if for practice.

As Midlifeflyer stated, a CFI must be present, and must endorse your logbook.

Why log it if it's not a currency or training issue pertaining to a certificate or rating...trying to build hours on a computer??

As Midlifeflyer stated, a CFI must be present, and must endorse your logbook.

I know Avbug knows this but just to add you can have a ground instructor sign you off for sim time as well, doesn't have to be a CFI.

Thanks for adding that. You're right. One need not be a flight instructor to supervise and endorse for FTD time or sim time. One need not be a CFII OR IGI, either.

pg....why on Earth would you wanna log Frasca time?? For what? Dual received? 'Cuz its not like you can throw it in the old Flight Time catagory. I think you're just messing with us.

pg....why on Earth would you wanna log Frasca time?? For what? Dual received? 'Cuz its not like you can throw it in the old Flight Time catagory. I think you're just messing with us.

You can substitute it for flight time for many certificates and ratings. So while it cannot be logged as flight time it is just as good as it (up to a point).

No, I just want to practice approaches on occasion and wanted to know how to log it.

Latest resources

Back