Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
in my logbook, i have a column called "instrument approaches". let's say i'm flying solo, severe clear, and i shoot the ILS 7L at daytona to a full stop. no foggles, no IMC, nothing. is that considered an instrument approach or do i have to be in actual/simulated to be able to log it in that column?

You can log whatever you want, but if you're going to do it for currency to meet recency of experience requirements prescribed by 14 CFR 61.57(c), the approach needs to be conducted in instrument conditions (actual or simulated) and unless it must be abandoned for safety reasons, it must be conducted to minimums.

Is this something people usually keep track of? Whoops...I'm hundreds and hundreds of approaches behind. Thousands, even.

fury, i have no idea. i'm using the little blue logbook that came with my cessna pilot kit, so i'm not sure if it's just there or if other logbooks have it.

avbug, thanks for the reply. as for currency, i know that you need simulated or actual to mins, but i was just curious if i need to go back and make some changes to the ol' logbook. thanks!

its simulated or actual to mins...for currency.

is it worth logging all instrument approaches, or just the ones to sim/actual mins ?

avbug said:
You can log whatever you want, but if you're going to do it for currency to meet recency of experience requirements prescribed by 14 CFR 61.57(c), the approach needs to be conducted in instrument conditions (actual or simulated) and unless it must be abandoned for safety reasons, it must be conducted to minimums.

I gotta agree with avbug.Heres a little scenario-Lets say your out flying by yourself and your on an IFR flight plan and its clearly VFR but your backing up your visual approach with needles,then id say log it as an instrument approach.Anyone else agree??

gkrangers said:
its simulated or actual to mins...for currency.

is it worth logging all instrument approaches, or just the ones to sim/actual mins ?

For currency I log them if I go past the FAF in IMC.

And those are the only ones I logtoo, if I do an approach in VMC I don't log it.

Pedro said:
...I log them if I go past the FAF in IMC.

And those are the only ones I logtoo, if I do an approach in VMC I don't log it.
Same here (unless I'm under a hood)

-mini

Heres a little scenario-Lets say your out flying by yourself and your on an IFR flight plan and its clearly VFR but your backing up your visual approach with needles,then id say log it as an instrument approach.Anyone else agree??

Not the FAA Chief Legal Counsel...

January 28, 1992

(no name given)

This is in response to your October 24, 1991, letter in which you asked several questions about certain Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR).
Second, you questioned how low a pilot must descend (i.e., minimum descent altitude or decision height or full stop landing) on the six instrument approaches he must log to meet the recent IFR experience requirements specified in FAR Section 61.57(e)(1)(i) (14 CFR Sec. 61.57 (e)(1)(i)). You also asked if an instrument approach "counts" if only part of the approach is conducted in actual IFR conditions. Section 61.57(e)(1)(i) states that:

No pilot may act as pilot in command under IFR, nor in weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR, unless he has, within the past 6 calendar months - (i) In the case of an aircraft other than a glider, logged at least 6 hours of instrument time under actual or simulated IFR conditions, at least 3 of which were in flight in the category of aircraft involved, including at least six instrument approaches, or passed an instrument competency check in the category of aircraft involved.

For currency purposes, an instrument approach under Section 61.57(e)(1)(i) may be flown in either actual or simulated IFR conditions. Further, unless the instrument approach procedure must be abandoned for safety reasons, we believe the pilot must follow the instrument approach procedure to minimum descent altitude or decision height.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any further information in this regard.

Sincerely,

Donald P. Byrne
Assistant Chief Counsel

How realistic is that though?
I'mnot trying to be a smart ass, but I think that's for legality pourposes (The wording).

Latest resources

Back