Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Instructor not concerned about engine failure, restarted, and continued lesson.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
9GClub said:
After the mag check in the 150, I always pull on the carb heat, check for RPM drop, and then cut power all the way for a few seconds to make sure she's still crankin'...... isn't this standard practice for the run-up?

That SHOULD be the standard practice. If not, start doing it. Remember not to freak out if the engine is cold, however. If it looks like it might quit, let it idle at 1000 for a while longer, and try it again. Once the oil temp is moving off of the peg, the engine should not quit.

The last item on my runup list on all single-engine airplanes I fly is the "Idle Check".

I'll slowly bring the throttle back to its stop, and let it sit idle for a couple seconds. You can tell right away if the engine is going to die or not. If the engine will not idle without trying to shut off, thats an immediate No Go decision for me. To me, it's better to be safe then sorry.

I fly an older Mooney that for a long time kept trying to die everytime I'd run the idle check. Ended up being the mixture control idle was set inproperly from recent maintenance (among other things), and after a few trips back to the mx hanger, we finally got it tweaked just right.

A guy that also flies the Mooney use to fly it anyways, with the theory that he never brings the throttle all the way back to idle until he's crossing the threshold on landing. To each their own I guess, but an engine that will try to die on me everytime I bring the throttle back to idle is no good to me. It could always be an indication of a far bigger problem, which might not manifest itself until a far more inconvenient time!

Last edited:
On the 402's, the inboard engine would always try to quit anytime you took a turn too fast on the taxi. Embarrassing as hell when you got 9 passengers. Uhhhh... no big deal folks... completely normal...let me just crank it back up.... @#!%@ thing... now its flooded... uhhh, no problem, let me just open the throttle, mixture back, crank it more, hehe not quick enough with the mixture, one more time folks, sure it'll fly....

hotwings402 said:
BTW as above pull the throttle to idle on the runup with carb heat, it should never quit it is never normal, it is worse case scenerio as on the landing the engine will be warm and idle slightly higher anyways, idle can differ between ac on the C-170 its like 350 rpm very low.......

Dude, can you put together a coherent sentence?

im almost certain that the idle carb heat check is a POH checklist item. but then again i was doing a check out in a 172P and when i did that the guy looked at me and asked what the hell i was doing. so i guess it is not practiced everywhere

happened to me before in an SP, this plane did it to a couple of different pilots. Well it was supposed to be fixed and all was well, then in flight I showed a power off stall to a student, pulled the power to idle, and the engine quit. We tried to restart it many times but to no avail. Ended up crashing in a field and destroying the airplane but me and my student were ok (he had a laceration on his leg). This is a problem with many piston engines and one of the many reasons I hate flying piston singles now.

I took an internship at a state facility which has a small cessna and I couild not believe the incompetence in regard to the maintenance practices. This guy was an ex military crew leader and he didn't know that a carb needed a spring on it in case the cable was pulled out; which, by the way happened to me and my best friend. FYI, my buddy was on his private checkride when the throttle pulled all the way out into the cabin and the engine went full throtle. He was lucky his mechanic was not a moron and knew to put a spring on the carb fly valve.

To answer your question... If the engine was warm which should happen on a small cessna in about 5 mins if it is not freggin cold... The engine should not quit running at idle unless something is way wrong and you should consider flying somewhere else.

ackattacker said:
On the 402's, the inboard engine would always try to quit anytime you took a turn too fast on the taxi. Embarrassing as hell when you got 9 passengers. Uhhhh... no big deal folks... completely normal...let me just crank it back up.... @#!%@ thing... now its flooded... uhhh, no problem, let me just open the throttle, mixture back, crank it more, hehe not quick enough with the mixture, one more time folks, sure it'll fly....

So which one is the inboard engine on the 402?

Latest resources

Back