• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Inside Pics of the new A380 SuperJumbo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nice pics but why don't they show you the cattle car section? I think the center row is 8 16 inch wide seats. The outside rows are 3 or 4 seats crammed together.

LearLove: You hit something there. Will be interesting to see the "cattle section". If it is any worse than the way people travel now, they will have to make the tickets so cheap to get people on there.
Passengers are already to fly on a plane so big, and if they know they will be packed in there worse than now, they won't go unless you hit them hard in the pocket as we all know you can treat a passenger as bad as you want and as long as you have the cheapest ticket, they come back.
You guys mentioned farts the other day, try sitting back in economy with all those "sleepers" and try breathing then. :eek:

i would take those photos with a grain of salt. correct me if i am mistaken, but aren't those photos just from their "mock up" cabin that they made, and not from the real thing? i got a strange feeling that i have seen those pics before, years ago. not only that, but the one (i'm assuming there's only one) A380 that exists as a whole airplane right now will be used for all of their certification tests. do you think that they would deck it out to the gills like that, with a completed interior, just for a cert aircraft? i dont' know much about this round of tests, but i doubt it. take anything you get from matt drudge carefully. he's a sensationalist, and doesn't always have the truth down.

also, how many gallons/pounds of paint do you think that it took to make it so shiny and white? :D

Yeah, the cattle car is how the real plane will be. Thats just the concept mockup made to attract all the buyers and say wow we could be luxury. The only airline that may ever look like that will be if R. Branson buys some for the long hauls.....If UAL ever put one on line it would be CRJ style seating with like 20 accross configuration. Although the plane is massive and kind of a cool idea just think of the boarding and deplaning times if they are in the 800+ configuration.

Anyone know if it was molded off the 747 standards for airports or are they going to have to reinvent the taxiway/jetway?

Id be curious to see what kind of issues it may posses. Im sure most of them were figured out in the planning stages however.

Anyone know if it was molded off the 747 standards for airports or are they going to have to reinvent the taxiway/jetway?

It is not going to meet criteria for the 747. The wingspan is about 50 feet longer while the length is just over 7 feet longer. A new airport fire fighting rating of 10 has been added to meet the safety requirments in the event of a crash. Airports all over the world are re-doing taxiways, runways, and terminals in order to accomodate the aircraft. One of the big reasons that Virgin delayed their order was because LAX will not be ready in a timely manner. Double decker boarding bridges will be necessary for reasonable boarding times.

The configuration I have seen is for 22 First, 96 Business, and 437 Economy seats. I'm sure airlines will vary that considerably, but as of right now the majority of orders are with airlines that have at least two class service so the all Economy layout won't be seen right away. I'm sure it will in time though. Our present two class 777-300 has 434 seats and their are carriers flying 747s with over 500 seats so we're only talking a couple hundred more seats in a two class layout. That won't make boarding too much longer if the infrastructure is in place before the airlines start receiving them.

All the same arguments that were made 35 to 40 years ago against the 747 are coming out again. Airports aren't big enough, too many people in one plane, boarding times too long, etc, etc, ad nauseum. It is a bold move by Airbus, just as the 747 was a bold move by Boeing. I think Airbus is right. You guys don't see it in the States too much, but there are plenty of places that will support the requirement for 550 plus passenger aircraft. Europe's airports have very little room for growth and are within a decade of complete saturation with present size aircraft. Airspace is becoming more saturated by the day. The only answer is for bigger aircraft. The only thing I wish was different is that Boeing had been bold enough ( again ) to make an airplane bigger than the 747.

Typhoonpilot

Latest resources

Back