• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Inside Pics of the new A380 SuperJumbo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm almost 99% positive that those photos are from the mockup version of the cabin created by Airbus to sell its products. For any of you who watched that A380 special they did on Discovery Wings a couple three months ago will remember seeing it there.

There's no way that plane can be profitable without creating cattle car sections. An Airbus rep even made mention on that special that those interiors were mainly for show so they could show "the potential" of what could be done with the Airbus.

ya know, when the 747 came out it had bars, pianos, and a disco up front, but then the airlines realized that they could put seats there and make more money.

When is the Boeing 747 stretch double decker going to be released?

As far as I know, the real airplane hasn't even flown yet, has it?

It's funny to hear the naysayers pile on to one another. Like Typhoon said, it was designed to be in the 600 pax class roughly, but yet you guys keep bumping this number to 800 and 1000 etc. And why does everyone think that the seat pitch will be any worse than is normal now? All of a sudden, people claim that just because it is so big, ticket prices will have to be very low because people will be crammed in there on top of each other. Where does all this come from? Come on guys, let's keep it real.

With that said, I don't think ANYONE will be able to put the airplane into service configured the way it is in the pics. There is way too much unrented space. They may have a snack bar or something similar to what they have on trains today, but they will be very compact I would think.

The most comfortable long haul flight I've ever had was on Virgin up front in a 747. Got some free upgrade because my company bought a full fare "cattle plus" ticket for me.. the in-flight massage was great, and so was the minature bar.. quite comfortable for passing the time....

So while yes, I agree, those fancy mockups don't represent reality, its likely that long-haul airlines will use some space to entice business travelers (at least I hope so). Singapore Air has their A340-500 with a social/bar area if I remember correctly, and extensive legroom throughout cattle (Their aircraft don't have a regular cattle section, 'economy plus only')... of course the 340-500's are few, far between, and used only on a few really long routes.

I can totally see the justification for an airplane this size.. there is a lot more to aviation outside of the continental US; hopping over the pond, going to SE Asia, China, Japan, between Europe & Asia, etc... when the trip takes 8-14 hours the carrier that provides some extra stuff in business class for a comparable fare will probably win.

Also note that several east asian carriers operate 747s and 777s on short-medium haul flights (1-3 hours) in places like Japan, Korea, Taiwan, HK, etc.... routes that we use RJs for. Apparently they can fill the aircraft so why not?

Don't worry about people getting packed in like cattle.

Asians have a different sense of 'personal' space than americans have. After all, have you ever seen the way they pack into trains? They don't think twice about being crammed in a large group--ever see how the population of Japan is packed into their cities?

With the expected growth in aviation in China the 380 should be popular.

Who cares?

Who cares what it may be like in the back, I'll just be concerned about the crew accomodations upfront. Oh, I forgot, I fly freight! FedEx mailed a DVD about the proposed A380 buy. Seperate crew sleeping quarters with a desk and internet hookup, @12 first class jumpseats upstairs. Dual flip down huds...very nice for a lowly freightdog....:)

adios

sandman2122 said:
FedEx mailed a DVD about the proposed A380 buy. Seperate crew sleeping quarters with a desk and internet hookup, @12 first class jumpseats upstairs. Dual flip down huds...very nice for a lowly freightdog....:)

Hmmmm... maybe I'll watch that DVD after all. I hope the water stains haven't ruined it already. (It was my newest coaster!) :)

Well the actual aircraft is rolled out today, if you are interested they are webcasting it live on thier website.

Looks like Singapore, Emirates, Quantas, Malaysia, Air France, ILFC, Etihad, Lufthansa, Korean, Virgin, FedEx (10 A/C), Thai, Qatar, UPS (10 A/C) have all made commitments to buy various numbers of the A/C.

Last edited:
anjinoo7 said:
Well the actual aircraft is rolled out today, if you are interested they are webcasting it live on thier website.

That would be cool to watch - - happen to know the link?

Latest resources

Back