• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Insane Fare Sales - Bleed Baby Bleed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I too would like to see ticket prices go up so the industry can survive. But as far as comparing 1970's ticket prices to 2004, that debate would not ensure our job security any better. Assuming a ticket price from LAX-BWI was $500 round trip in 1975, and with inflation that same ticket would now cost say $1978.65 round trip (using an inflation calculator), it is easy to see that many of the families that fly today could not afford to do so and then would create a smaller need for ASM's which would in turn create a smaller need for us, the pilots. Most of us on this board wouldn't even be close to flying for an airline.

I dont think the airfares should be 4 times what they where 20- 25 years ago just more, a little more. A round trip ticket coast to coast for 325-350 is a great deal!! but we have airlines trying to get what they call market share so they sell tickets for 200 RT. When people fly they look for the cheapest deal which we all do rather buying a car or an airline ticket. What is market share when you really think about it? passsengers we know for the most part look for the cheapest flight on the day and times they want to travel, and when they find that airline thats how they the passengers pick thier market share. someone who flies jetblue 5 times in a row and likes them alot will fly Delta the next time if they find a cheaper fare!!!! Market share basically is what is the cheapest airline to fly on the day the passenger travels. jetblue will sell tickets for 50% off, pasengers will be like this is great I love jetblue take the gift and next time they fly they will look for the cheapest fare and if its on American they will fly american while turning thier back on jetblue who gave them such a great deal last time for 50% off. I dont think passengers really have much loyalty or really care what airline they fly on they just want to get for the cheapest.

Deregulation and the increase in regional carriers created the excess capacity and all the pilot job growth.

We could easily return to the good old dayys if we totally re-regulate, get rid of the lcc's and let uncle sam set the prices.

Pilots would again make huge $$.

Most of us would no longer be pilots.

The big question is whether YOU are willing to be the one who leaves flying so that someone ELSE can get a raise.

I'm not willing to be that guy. Yet.

philo beddoe said:
Deregulation and the increase in regional carriers created the excess capacity and all the pilot job growth.

We could easily return to the good old dayys if we totally re-regulate, get rid of the lcc's and let uncle sam set the prices.

Pilots would again make huge $$.

Most of us would no longer be pilots.

The big question is whether YOU are willing to be the one who leaves flying so that someone ELSE can get a raise.

I'm not willing to be that guy. Yet.

Is anybody listening? If so, you just read truth.

Calvin

Latest resources

Back