Input on the Astra, please?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All good info!

The plane we would fly is a classic (no winglets), I believe. Sounds like a good plane for our mission.

Now to see what the Man wants to do....

Sled; I found the same thing to be true with our old classic, .76 or .77 seemed to yeild the best results, anyting less just resulted in a longer trip with no better reserves at the destination.
Likewise I would find cruising at .78 vs .80 typically only added 4 or 5 minutes to a trip, but saved hundreds of pounds of fuel.
I found it interesting that if you check the buffett margin charts the best margin for typical weights and altitudes is found at approximately mach .78 to .79 .

Makesheepnervus said:
Sled; I found the same thing to be true with our old classic, .76 or .77 seemed to yeild the best results, anyting less just resulted in a longer trip with no better reserves at the destination.
Likewise I would find cruising at .78 vs .80 typically only added 4 or 5 minutes to a trip, but saved hundreds of pounds of fuel.
I found it interesting that if you check the buffett margin charts the best margin for typical weights and altitudes is found at approximately mach .78 to .79 .

Ditto .... If we could not make the west coast at .76 we flew at .82 and made a fuel stop.

Prefered was .78 for economy vs time.

The Astra should be a perfect airplane for PHX ... just get a good headset with earplugs.

Right after I received my type I had the opportunity to spend a week or 10 days with one of the factory certification and production test pilots. We flew coast to coast a couple of times and I had the opportunity to ask every possible question that I could think of – basically the “whys” and “how comes” of everything in the AFM. When we finished our trip I still had more questions and he had more time, so we took out my boat and went fishing. It was one of the most productive training experiences that I have ever had. I was the lead international captain at the place where I was working and I wasn’t very thrilled about flying an airplane that most folks said couldn’t fly as far or as fast as the factory promised. Since then, I’ve flown all 3 variants of the Astra over 3,500 hours world-wide. It’s certainly not a G-V, but there’s not another mid-size jet that give you as much bang for the buck.

'Sled

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back