Initial CFI question?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UndauntedFlyer said:
Midlifeflyer is correct. Most examiners will not require a spin endorsement. As a DPE I do not require a spin endorsement for an initial CFI-I checkride but there are other DPE's I know of that think that such an endorsement is necessary. In that case you must go by what they say or find another examiner/FAA inspector.

Interesting. In this case, there should be no wiggle-room on interpretation. The FAA Inspector's Handbook gives a blow-by-blow description of each step to take in all "Tasks". I don't have one to look at now, but that book should say "Check spin endorsement" on a CFI-A Practical Test, and not on the CFI-I Practical Test. These types of FAA functions are clearly spelled out so that they are standard nationwide.

nosehair said:
These types of FAA functions are clearly spelled out so that they are standard nationwide.

I would appreciate it if you can check this out as to what if anything is stated in the FAA Handbookd on this. But the guidance I have received on this is that the initial CFI-ASE or the CFI-AME require spin endorsement. Ns that the CFI-I(A) does not require a spin endorsement.

nosehair said:
Interesting. In this case, there should be no wiggle-room on interpretation.
Unfortunately, "wiggle room" tends to be in the eye of the wiggler.

How many times has Standardization had to remind DPEs that the AIM-approved entries are recommended, not required?

UndauntedFlyer said:
I would appreciate it if you can check this out.
Here is a link to the handbook:
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/examiners_inspectors/8400/media/volume5/V5_Toc.pdf
Click on "Eligibility Phase", and I see that a "Job Aid" is used to determine eligibility for each certificate or rating. This Job Aid is on a disc in each FSDO.
That is a change. It used to all be in the book.

You, as a Designated Examiner, should have a Job Aid for each certificate or rating that you are authorized to do. This would tell what is required to be eligible.

nosehair said:
You, as a Designated Examiner, should have a Job Aid for each certificate or rating that you are authorized to do. This would tell what is required to be eligible.

Nosehair:

Thanks for your reply. Actually though, I have never heard of a "Job Aid" and none of my colleagues have either. The only thing we have is the new just off the presses Order 8710.3E Designated Pilot and Flight Engineer Examiner's Handbook, as well as the various PTS's. This new handbook was given to us at the recent annual examiner's meeting. No one mentioned a "Job Aid" at the meeting either.

Please PM me if there is more my colleagues and I should know about the "Job Aids."

UndauntedFlyer said:
I would appreciate it if you can check this out as to what if anything is stated in the FAA Handbookd on this. But the guidance I have received on this is that the initial CFI-ASE or the CFI-AME require spin endorsement. Ns that the CFI-I(A) does not require a spin endorsement.
Interestingly, the student who tried to spin the airplane closest to the ground (400 feet or so) was an instrument student.

My personal opinion, then, is that it SHOULD be required for the CFI-I(A), but I guess opinions are like... ;)

Fly safe!

David

MauleSkinner said:
My personal opinion, then, is that it SHOULD be required for the CFI-I(A), but I guess opinions are like... ;)

Fly safe!

David

I agree, and I'll go even further to say that spins should be required and tested for the private and done to one turn or even more turns in an aerobatic airplane, but that will never happen.

But as far as getting into a spin during IFR training: Highly unlikely unless the student is given an extreem (too extreem) unusual attitude.

UndauntedFlyer said:
I agree, and I'll go even further to say that spins should be required and tested for the private and done to one turn or even more turns in an aerobatic airplane, but that will never happen.

But as far as getting into a spin during IFR training: Highly unlikely unless the student is given an extreem (too extreem) unusual attitude.
This particular student got a little behind on the approach, and THOUGHT he was doing a slip to landing. Highly entertaining.

Fly safe!

David

MauleSkinner said:
This particular student got a little behind on the approach, and THOUGHT he was doing a slip to landing. Highly entertaining.

Fly safe!

David

Sounds like this student has big problems!:)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back