initial CFI help-lesson plans

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Da Vinci

i have less then a week and a half to my CFI check in atlanta ga fsdo...someone just told me i should have a lesson plan for every task listed in the pts. ok...i have all my maneuvers but is this true????? holy steep turns that means i'll be writting lesson plans for the next month???!!!! can you fail if you don't have a lesson plan for something??? i'm open to any opinions!!!

a good response if you don't have a lesson plan for the particular subjets is: "one of my overall goals as a flight instructor is to put the time of preparation into the presentation for my students. because I don't know everything to the level of a seasoned instructor i prepare each night for the following day's lessons. that way I can evaluate what I might have left out so the student gets a thoughtful and thorough lesson."

don't worry about it.

Go to Jedi Nein's site and she has links to a number of pre-made lesson plans.

I, too, was blindsided years ago in training by the "requirement"--I photocopied someone else's lesson plans, bought a gleim practical test prep book, sliced off the backing, bought 300 page protectors and a 4" binder. One cr@ppy night in the hotel later, I had lesson plans and teaching notes that covered everything I needed for the oral without any additions or omissions.

Improvise, adapt, overcome. Good luck.

wow...i'm a dork for never considering COPYING SOMETHING!! that web site you pointed me to is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The examiner will proabaly go a little easier on you if you already have some prepared. In my inital CFI, many moons ago, he actually asked me to write a lesson plan so I just flipped ope my notebook and voila.

When I did my Lesson plans, I just bought the Gleim "Flight instructor Maneuvers and PTS" book.

It's the PTS, only it has detailed info on what you are expected to teach.
For example....
1.Look under each Area of operation.
2.Then You'll find tasks...
3.Then under each task you'll find a list of objectives.
These objectives are what your lesson plans should cover.

The Gleim book already gives detailed notes on how you can cover these objectives.

It took me about one month though....

Jedi Nein's site?? Where is that located? I myself am preparing for my CFI ride in a month or so. I have a lesson plan made up for pretty much everything listed in the PTS. There are a couple I have yet to do. Curious to see this Jedi's site....

Last edited:
I didn't have lesson plans for ever subject, not even close. What's more, the ones I did have I have never, ever, looked at again after I made them.

Ralgha said:
I didn't have lesson plans for ever subject, not even close. What's more, the ones I did have I have never, ever, looked at again after I made them.

Golly, Gee Whillikers, Mr. Ralgha, you are so awesome. When I grow up, I want to be just like you.

Latest resources

Back