initial CFI help-lesson plans

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hipster Loser said:
you should create your own lesson plans for every task in the CFI PTS. Use the FAA handbooks for the maneuvers. It lists all you need to have on the lesson plan.

This got me thinking. When I was working on my CFI, I had done exactly what Hipster has suggested. There wasn't a single thing the DE (yes, DE) could ask me that I didn't have a lesson plan for. I was completely prepared to meet PTS requirements and pass the CFI practical.

But was I ready to teach? Not in the least. Now after the benefit of a few hundred hours of dual given, I see that my lesson plans that I used to meet PTS are basically worthless. I never look at them. I saved the hard copy for a while but I eventually just threw them away since I have everything backed up on a CD. However, the lesson planning that I do now for the real world is extensive, but may or may not meet CFI PTS (to be honest, I haven't really compared the two.)

Just an observation.

Plus, when you create them yourself you'll learn them much better.

There's a lot of truth to that. You may not actually use the lesson plans you write for your CFI Practical, but I think it is a beneficial activity nonetheless.

-Goose

Latest resources

Back