Info on Skydiving Outfits

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dseagrav said:
Danger, Will Robinson! This place has a bad reputation locally for killing students on a fairly regular basis, and being connected to drug smuggling operations. I'd be cautious about them.

I probably can get more details if someone needs them.

...not only that, but they make you jump out of those black helicopters you're always hearing about.

being connected to drug smuggling operations

Your information is extraordinarily dated. That was over 20 years ago and was a different owner.

Have you stopped molesting children?

It sounds like between flying jumpers and smuggling drugs there could really be some oppotunities for a low time guy like yourself, lots of night cross country to say the least. :D

Skydive Chicago = Ottawa, IL (USA) (2 182s and 2 Twin Otters). Still in operation and doing well.

Danger, Will Robinson! This place has a bad reputation locally for killing students on a fairly regular basis, and being connected to drug smuggling operations. I'd be cautious about them.

I believe that the owner spent a little time in the Can for some other than legal flying he did at night back and forth across the border.

He died in a skydiving accident not too long ago. I think his family still runs the DZ.

dseagrav said:
The drugs part is recent rumor. There was an incident there just last year. Basically an airplane landed at their base airport in the middle of the night and started unloading, then got stopped by the feds. The party that was supposed to be picking up saw the commotion and split. Supposedly several of the skydive employees didn't show up at work for a few days afterward.

This is all rumor as far as I am concerned, and could be outright bullshoot, but if someone is considering working there they should at least know about it beforehand. I wish someone had told me about my previous boss's bad reputation before I signed on with him. It would have saved me a couple years and a lot of money. Turns out everyone knew he was a fraud but me.

As far as fatalities, that's real and documented. They changed hands in 1993 (I think... or was that when they moved?) and have killed 14 or so people since then, the last one was July last year.

Look, I'm just trying to save someone a bad surprise. If that's such a bad thing, fine, I'll shut up.

Look, you are getting stuff mixed up so let me try and straighten a bit out for you.

First. THEY DID NOT KILL 14 PEOPLE! Yes, it is documented. And in each case the person who died was determined to be the cause of their demise and not the DZ. I know. I was there. Same with pilots, same with jumpers. The individual pilot is usually the cause of the accident.

If I had felt the DZ was unsafe I would have left it. I left a bad operation before and I'd do it again. I even had my mother do a tandem at Skydive Chicago and I rather care about my mom a lot.

The former owner of SDC did spend time in jail for drug running. He opened SDC after his time away in 1993. SDC is one of the premeir places to go jumping in the USA. He was killed in 2003 while skydiving and his family continues the business quite well.

As for the plane landing with drugs in the middle of the night last year it's true. Two pilots were arrested and drugs seized. The owners of the DZ were NEVER questioned. Had lawenforcement thought it went further they would have taken it further. NO DZ staff was "missing" for a few days.

There is an active drug testing policy in place for ALL employees at SDC.

I could type more but my fingers would fall off. I just know that SDC does care about the Mx on their aircraft head and shoulders above many. I would go to work there again any time. The pilots involved in working there now are some of the finest jump pilots I know. ( I trained them I should know.)

If I sound defensive it's because I am a bit. I put blood, sweat, and tears into help building that new facility. I only played my part but I care about it much. And if I was the one standing there when the plane rolled in with drugs on board I would have been the one to make the phone call to turn them in. I know others would too. We don't like our work being messed with.

Last edited:
Good Post Diver Driver...

Would Have loved to get on at SDC.. I worked at SDI until it was kicked off the morris airport (which is a story for another thread). I've jumped at SDC several times and it is a real class act... While I sat around with that durn King Air for 2 years and 300 hrs.. the pilots at SDC were flying all day, had people bringing them food and water, hot fueling the aircraft for them and turnin' some loads.

If you are trying to get on there it is pretty diffucult unless you've got some otter time or are in good with Rook or Missy.

Flying skydivers is like anything else... can't just jump (punny!) into a king-air or twin otter... you've got to put in your dues in a c-182 or c-206 at your local DZ before movin on to the big dogs like SDC, Carolina Sky Sports, Skydive Arizona, or Kapowsin (sp)

It's also not for everyone, but if it is for you I GUARANTEE it will be the most fun flying you ever will do!!

Good Luck
-AlaskaBob

Thanks for all the info, in this business information is very important. As far as letting your mother tandem, I would like to know a place you reccomend for my mother in law to jump... thats a whole different thing though.

Could you get on with one of these operations with 1000hrs TT if most of it was hauling banners?

DiverDriver said:
If I sound defensive it's because I am a bit. I put blood, sweat, and tears into help building that new facility. I only played my part but I care about it much. And if I was the one standing there when the plane rolled in with drugs on board I would have been the one to make the phone call to turn them in. I know others would too. We don't like our work being messed with.

It's OK. I didn't mean to personally attack you, or anything. I just reposted the rumor I'd heard and expected it to get proven one way or the other. I apologise for getting you worked up.

I used to regularly jump at SDC when it was in Morris until thier Ottor went down killing all a few years back. It is a class operation, I was considering working for them part time just for fun since I have well over 1000 hrs in 182's. Maybe someday after I retire, I always had a blast jumping there, it's big on safety, that I do know.

What would be the chances of getting hired there with my time in type at age 46 when I'm retired?

Also, what do they pay?

Latest resources

Back