Info on planning North Atlantic Trip

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

falcondriver

I'm planning a trip to Europe and would like to know if there is any good online sources of info for how to operate in the North Atlantic. We are using a handler but I would like to find as much reference material as possible.
Thanks
FD

ATL 1/2 chart.

Best source out there IMHO.

Maybe check out FSI Intl' procedures course at a center near you also...not required by any means, but Im sure you will learn something!

Where are you going? what kind of aircraft? RVSM?

check out NBAA.com for Intl operator database, especially if going somewhere off the beaten path...if sticking to the major Euro cities its really not too different than operating here..

Best advice I can give - have your paperwork in order, just in case.....France/Germany can give you a ramp check that will make your head spin!

ask any specific question you may have, there is plenty of Intl corp experience lurking around here..

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Rice and G200 hit the nail on the head. Probably the best advice is get into an International procedures course before going!

A few more links:

IFIM - Online
NAT PCO

Get a good handler: Jepp, Universal, Air Routing, etc. But again, take the int'l procedure class. You'll feel much better about making the crossing.

Have a great trip. Where are you going anyway?

2000Flyer

Hey falcondriver, pm me with a fax number i can use. i'll fax over about 3 pages with email links from the back of my international manual, too many links to type out.

get your selcal checks and learn the order of position reports:
1. position
2. time
3. flight level
4. estimate
5. next
6. pertinant remarks.

If you misunderstand a controller, don't be afraid to appologize for misunderstanding him or her. You're in "their house" and you shouldn't "diss" them. :p

Oh yeah, if you coast in with Lisbon Control, say "Bon dia" not Buenos Dias (like the Delta pilot who kept calling them for 10 minutes without a reply...).TC

If you are planing on using RVSM airspace make sure you qualify:

Method of Pilot Training/Knowledge (e.g., part 142 training center, course of instruction, in-house training; record of course completion).
2. Pilot Training/Knowledge Syllabus: if requested by the inspector in accordance with Notice 8700.36, paragraph 8f(1)(d).

Ref: FAA Notice 8700.36, paragraph 8f(1).
Basicly what it says is you need an Intl ops recurrent every 2 years, Tcas, an MEL, & an intl ops manal.

Ask you maint tech if the aircraft qualifies?
Call a flight planning agency and start the ball rolling (TSA waiver forms, yada yada.......)

Last edited:
hawkerjet said:
I justn found a link for you that has a myriad of web links pertaining to oceanic flightplanning, here ya go http://www.trainati.com/weblinks.htm

What a great website packed full of useful links. It's nice to have on one link rather than the long list I have in separate links. I've added it to my favorites as well! Thanks hawkerjet!

2000Flyer

Latest resources

Back