info on fedex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FedEx Beoing 727 scheds (repeat)

Here is a repeat of a response I made a few months back about the types of lines in the Beoing:

Fedex schedules:

In the Boeing 727 there are several different “typical” pairings.

Bid months begin on a Mon and run for 4 or 5 weeks and end on a Sunday. Bid months are either 28 or 35 days long. Usually there are eight 4 week bid months and four 5 week bid months per year. Min line guarantee for 4 week month is 68 credit hours and 85 credit hours for a 5 week bid month. Reserve lines pay 96% of the average line guarantee. 15 days on reserve and 13 off for 4 week bid month and 19 reserve days on and 16 days off for 5 week bid month.

In general, here are some of the typical pairings at FedEx. DH equals deadhead on passenger carrier.

Majority of pairings: Week on, week off hub turn lines. DH MEM to outstation city on Mon morning. Hotel. Depart 9-10 pm. Fly 1 or 2 legs to hub (MEM, IND, OAK, AFW, EWR), arriving between 10 and midnight. Sit for sort. Depart back to outstation from 2-4 am. Get back to hotel between 6-7 am. Sleep. Repeat each night until Sat morning, then either layover and sleep or DH back to MEM (or home). Seniority depends on the number and length of legs and the outstation city. Commuters best friend if you live in the outstation city. Pays 35-40 hours per week.

Out and Backs (O/B):

AM: Depart MEM from 2 – 4 am, fly 1 or 2 legs to outstation. Fairly quick turn around and back to MEM by 7-9 am. 5-8 hours on duty, pays 6 hours per trip. Fly 3 or 4 days per week, mostly week days. Goes fairly junior among line holders, depending on the city pairing and the number of legs.

PM: Depart MEM 2-5 pm. Fly 1 or 2 legs to outstation. Sit in ramp office or hotel if over 4 hours, waiting for the incoming freight. Fly back to MEM at about 9-10 pm, arriving between 11:30 pm and 1 am. Fly it 4 or 5 times per week. 10 to 12 hours on duty, pays 6 hours per trip. Go pretty senior depending on number of legs and destination city.

Day turns. DH to outstation or hub on Sun. Depart hub to outstation around 7- 8 am. Sit in other city for 5 or 6 hours. Fly back to hub or outstation city. Fly each day of the week, then DH back to MEM. Week on, week off. These go out of several cities and several hubs, although there are not that many of them. Tend to go VERY senior. Pay about 34-40 hours per week.

Hotel/Airport Standbys: Week on, week off. DH to hub city other than MEM on Sun. Stand hotel standby for 12 hours or airport standby for 5 hours Mon through Fri or Sat, then DH back to MEM. Go VERY, VERY senior. Pay about 35 hours for possibly zero block time.

Various weekend layover, west coast 2 or 3 day trips, and fill in trips usually make up some of the other lines out there. There are also “trash” lines that go fairly junior among line holders that have very little city stability and often flip between day and night flying.

Finally, Reserve lines. 3 types. RSV, A and B reserve.

RSV is on call 24/7 but requires 24 hour notice for trip assignment. Same number of days per month as A and B reserve. Goes fairly senior due to commuter-friendly aspect of the 24 hour notice.

B reserve: on call from noon to midnight. 1.5 hour callout (min of 1 hour if given late call parking right next to Ops). Often assigned trips up to a day ahead of time, usually by 10 am that day, sometimes just an hour before. Can also be assigned airport standby at MEM on reserve days. Folks who live in Memphis sometimes prefer B reserve over junky lines.

A reserve: on call from midnight to noon, otherwise the same as B. Pretty much the most junior lines in the bid pack. Sometimes assigned trips a day ahead of time, sometimes just an hour or two notice.

Some reserve lines have all the days bunched together (commuter friendly) and some break them up into 4 to 7 day bunches. There is a little bit of everything, even SIBA reserve lines (see SIBA below).

So there you have it. It is very difficult to define a standard line at FedEx, there really is no such thing, but these are the types of typical lines. The most common is the week on week off hub turn type line. There is also SIBA, which in the 72 is special flying to South America, but there are only about 9 or 10 lines of that out of 225 or so regular lines.

I think most of the widebody aircraft have similar trips to these, with maybe longer and fewer legs typically to larger cities (more freight). They of course have more international pairings that I know nothing about, except that everybody says the catering and the layovers are killer (in a good way) and that the long trips can be killer (in a bad way) on the body clock. Other domiciles for the widebody aircraft include Subic Bay, ANC and LAX. SIBA in the Airbus is in Europe. I don’t know much at all about the trips they fly out of those domiciles.

Hope some of this info helps. Other FedEx folks feel free to jump in if I goobered anything up.

FJ

Current retirement benefits at FedEx:

A fund: 2% per year of service (up to 50% max) times the average amount earned over your highest five years (capped at 260K). So, max retirement right now would be 25 years of service, average 260K per year over high 5 years, retirement A fund = 130K per year. Various penalties for early retirement at 55 - 59 yoa. No lump sum option at this time. Survivor benefits available with reduced payout. As mentioned, who knows what this will look like down the road.

B fund: Company pays an amount equal to 6% of your earnings each month in a Vanguard fund in your name. Payable in lump sum upon retirement. Excess long term disability credit hours go into this fund after (if) you accrue 686 (or so) hours of unused sick leave.

401K: Company matches very small amount, usually 500 per year only. One year they matched 1000, not sure why. Again, this might go up if the A or B funds are changed, but who knows.

That is how they stand right now, to the best of my recollection.

Great place to work, can't wait for that promised raise with the new contract!

FJ

Last edited:
New FDX Guy-

LAX has a 3 hour call out but depending on the time of day and where you live you'll need every second of it. The problem is...CRS will first notify you of a reserve assignment through VIPS, they won't call you at first. If you haven't logged in to VIPS to acknowledged the assigned trip ONLY then will CRS call you (3 hour notice) for the trip. So you better be showered and have your bag packed.

Pyscxic-

I don't like to depend on PAX carriers unless it is SWA, they are very generous to non-rev customers. Very rarely do I get turned away by the gate agents, a little sugar goes a long way. I always remember that it is a privilegde, not an entitlement, to ride along non-rev.

Purple Tail, et. al.,

Thanks for the plethora of info. Since no good deed goes unpunished, allow me to ask a couple of additional things. Forgive my naiveté; I don’t start until next month.

1. Does VIPS allow for some automated way to call your cell phone or e-mail a blackberry or something so that when CRS posts the trip it lets you know? In this day and age that should be relatively simple, but we did just get off of the cargo board last week.
2. Is the reserve leash three hours an absolute or is it three hours in ‘normal driving conditions?’ Example, Mapquest says just less than two hours from SD to LAX, but we all know that it could take much longer at the wrong times of day (most of the day, in fact).

I feel very fortunate to have gotten on with FedEx at all, but especially so with the projected hiring forecast. Things look pretty good, doubly so compared to the passenger side of the house. Thanks for all the info.

The humble new guy.

New guy,

Been out here at LAX for just about a year, and as far as I know, there isn't a way for you to get notified, unless you log into vips. The schedulers assign trips from 9-11am local, so what I do is just log on around noontime to check if I've been assigned anything. If you've got the nightime reserve, most of the LA basin flights leave around 7pm, a 6pm show, so I'm all packed and ready at home around 230pm, just in case someone goes sick. If you don't get a call by 4pm, odds are the night time launches are all covered. It is a hard 3 hour call, once I've been stuck on the 405, called skeds to let them know I was stuck in traffic, they said get there as soon as I could, was about 5 min late for check in, pushed on time, never heard anything about it(but I'm sure I've got some type of letter in my file). Have only been called out on 3 hour call 3 times in a year, most of the time its assigned to my via vips. Just check it around noon, and before you got to bed, no worries. Good luck staying awake thru indoc.

More Hiring.

Just got out of RG. The latest rumor on the street is 30 new hires a month. Also, sometime this year they want to have a "surge" month, where they want to hire 60 in one month. Evidentially they are still pretty short in the back of the 727. Plus 30 upgrades a month as well.

I asked our instructor if he thought the training dept could handle 60 guys in one month. He hesitated and said "I dont know."

As a side note he said it would take about 9 months to train everyone who moves on the seat bid that closes on the 31st.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back