Info for Cpt of USAir 687-1/16/13-FDX Intl JS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sluggo,
Normally, I'd at least try and put myself in the shoes of the Captain because that's a USAir West number and most of our guys are really cool. Maybe he had a bad day, got beat up by his wife, etc. I looked up the flight to see who it was and, imagine my lack of surprise when I saw he blocks his identity in our scheduling system. That's normally an indicator of a problem child. Using a round about way to figure it out...

All I can do is apologize for this guy. He's *VERY* unpopular among our pilot group because he lacks the social skill-set to know how to talk to someone in a way that doesn't come across as wildly confrontational. The Schedulers can't stand him. The flight attendants *HATE* him. Then again, I flew with him last year and had a surprisingly good trip. Maybe he was on meds or something. Even the F/A's who went through a range of hateful gyrations when I told them who the Captain was commented on his good behavior. I've suspected he was fresh from a carpet danced in front of the Chief Pilot regarding his antics but who knows.

Anyway, if you didn't catch it...when you left, the FO said, "Don't worry about it" under his breath. Also, on our flights to Mexico you can't ride in our jumpseat due to TSA regs or some such thing so he's on pretty thin ice giving you the what-for. Ignore him and please feel free to use our jumpseat any time you like. We're happy to have you riding along.

Are you sure you checked the right day/flight? I did a search for 687/16 and the captains line was not restricted.

Sluggo, that's very nice of you to type out a letter of explanation/apology to a jerk captain. If he knew anything about jumpseat etiquette and FedEx jumpseat rules he wouldn't have, or shouldn't have been taking it out on you. Any similar circumstance that I face usually involves me writing down the info to take to my carrier jumpseat coordinator. Not much else can be done.

Are you sure you checked the right day/flight? I did a search for 687/16 and the captains line was not restricted.

One of us is looking at the wrong thing. I just checked again and it was. Either way, water under the bridge now.

Sluggo,
Normally, I'd at least try and put myself in the shoes of the Captain because that's a USAir West number and most of our guys are really cool. Maybe he had a bad day, got beat up by his wife, etc. I looked up the flight to see who it was and, imagine my lack of surprise when I saw he blocks his identity in our scheduling system. That's normally an indicator of a problem child. Using a round about way to figure it out...

All I can do is apologize for this guy. He's *VERY* unpopular among our pilot group because he lacks the social skill-set to know how to talk to someone in a way that doesn't come across as wildly confrontational. The Schedulers can't stand him. The flight attendants *HATE* him. Then again, I flew with him last year and had a surprisingly good trip. Maybe he was on meds or something. Even the F/A's who went through a range of hateful gyrations when I told them who the Captain was commented on his good behavior. I've suspected he was fresh from a carpet danced in front of the Chief Pilot regarding his antics but who knows.

Anyway, if you didn't catch it...when you left, the FO said, "Don't worry about it" under his breath. Also, on our flights to Mexico you can't ride in our jumpseat due to TSA regs or some such thing so he's on pretty thin ice giving you the what-for. Ignore him and please feel free to use our jumpseat any time you like. We're happy to have you riding along.
Thanks. No need to apologize. I'm pretty thick skinned. It just seemed to me he didn't buy my explanation, and when I tried to explain how I couldn't ride on USAir internationally in the cockpit, he took it as that was why we were retaliating against him but not letting him jumpseat on us.

It's all good, though.

As I left, I did lock eyes with the FO in that silent mind meld that only FO's have. His eyes said "sorry about that," mine replied "don't feel sorry for me... you're the one that's gotta sit up here with him for the next 5 hours."

Truly, thanks for the ride, and hopefully we can reciprocate one day.

As I left, I did lock eyes with the FO in that silent mind meld that only FO's have. His eyes said "sorry about that," mine replied "don't feel sorry for me... you're the one that's gotta sit up here with him for the next 5 hours."

Great description. Funny stuff

Latest resources

Back