Info for AirTran?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RJPilott

Any info would be appreciated. Upgrades, schedules, etc. I have looked over the Air Tran website. 3rd yr pay for FO's? Union? thanks

Upgrade time is about 3 years on the 717. 3rd year FO pay right now is 55.44 right now and goes to 60.59 on 4/1/04. 4th year Capt. pay is 112.27 on 4/1/04 and tops out at 152.57 after 12 years. We have our own in house union. Getting 2 717s a month. Schedules average between 15-16 days off. Minumum is 12 days off with some lines having as many as 19.

sounds much more attractive than ACA ever will be. FO pay and QOL at AirTran for 3rd yr FO sounds MUCH better than 5 yr CRJ Capt at ACA. Our Schedules $uck!!! And guess what, we are an ALPA carrier. AirTran, here comes my resume.

thanks for your reply

If we lose 14 DC9 this year, but get 20 B717, then there will be a net gain of 6 airplane crews, or 72 pilots, roughly half of 'em Captains. If we have 20 retirements, there will be 56 Captain slots opening up, plus maybe a couple more will leave or be asked to leave . . . . let's call it 60 Captain slots opening up at this rate. Any growth beyond that could change the picture drastically. When I went through training, the Training Dept. guys said the projection was 12-14 month upgrades within a year, but you know how rumors are!

In my case, it should be around 2 yrs 7 months from date of hire, if nothing changes . . . but I would be surprised if it doesn't improve between now and then.

It looks like $40K is pretty realistic for the first year . . . . been averaging around 90 hrs pay per month, and holding a commutable line since the 3rd month.

Things have slowed down right now, but hopefully the hiring will resume again soon, and the guys currently on reserve will be able to get a line.

Good luck to all . . .

Ty Webb,

I am working hard to secure an interview and hopefully job at AirTran. I have e-mailed them my resume and have found a DC-9 Captain willing to walk in my resume. I'm curious though whether or not I might have a shot at an interview even though I don't have any 121 PIC time. I have other good (though I'm not sure competitive)quals with TT, PIC jet, and 121 experience just not as captain. I know it will take time but I plan on plugging away.

Also, I'm making another donation to the Kit Darby retirement fund, and going to the AirInc. Seminar in ATL soley to grip and grin with the AirtTran folks.

Last, do you happen to know if it increases your chances to have more than one recomendation or is one just as good as, say, fifty?

Thanks for all you AT guy's responses.

AV8OR said:
Ty Webb,

I am working hard to secure an interview and hopefully job at AirTran. I have e-mailed them my resume and have found a DC-9 Captain willing to walk in my resume. I'm curious though whether or not I might have a shot at an interview even though I don't have any 121 PIC time. I have other good (though I'm not sure competitive)quals with TT, PIC jet, and 121 experience just not as captain. I know it will take time but I plan on plugging away.

Also, I'm making another donation to the Kit Darby retirement fund, and going to the AirInc. Seminar in ATL soley to grip and grin with the AirtTran folks.

Last, do you happen to know if it increases your chances to have more than one recomendation or is one just as good as, say, fifty?

Thanks for all you AT guy's responses.

OK, just so we are all talking about the same company, the identifier is FL . . . .

I'm pretty junior, so anyone with better info than I have, please weigh in, but my guess is that one Capt willing to turn your stuff in and to follow up on it will do just fine . . . . there is a pool right now, but those guys should fill the first class or two and then hiring will re-commence. Common sense says there will be some competition at the beginning, but things should settle down to normal. I think any recommendation should be enough, the key is whether the guy is willing to call Jill and Greta and make sure you get the invite . . . . .

121 PIC time was not necessary earlier this year to get an interview, but the D.O. has the final say, and he does like 121 PIC time. I got hired without any 121 time (was a former 135 jet PIC) but I was the exception in my class. I got an interview for a buddy w/o 121 PIC time, but he did not get an offer, he felt he did OK on the interview, if so, he may have gotten passed over for more experienced guys, hard to tell. Make sure your guy is willing to keep pressing them throughout the process . . . .

And, for the guy who wants to know about hiring furloughees- I had dinner a few weeks ago with a former USAirways guy we hired . . I know we have hired a bunch of Midway guys and we were happy to have them- great guys with lots of experience.

The main thing, I think, is that you are willing to do the right thing.If you have two years in with United or AA, then you are probably going back, but almost all furloughees have the ability to defer a recall for some period of time. Tell them that if you are recalled, you will defer until your 1st year is up. . . . Hell, we will have spent $35K on you to get you through the first 90 days, so please treat us right and don't screw it up for your fellow furloughed pilots . . . . If I'm "preaching to the choir" here, don't take it personally, it's intended for everyone reading this string.

Good luck, and let me know if I can answer anything else. I winged it this far, let's keep it rolling . . . . . . . .

Last edited:
Ty Webb,
Great post, thanks for all the info.

Any thoughts about having or not having a degree?
Of course we all know not many places they are required, but competitively the are needed sometimes...
?

I do believe the interview process has changed since I interviewed, and on the day I interviewed, Jill N. was not there, so I do not have any knowlege of how HR normally interviews, but when I interviewed (last year) it didn't even come up.

The interview then was really just a "get to know you" experience- "Tell us about your present job", "What do you like/dislike about your present job""How did you get interested in flying" "Why AirTran", "What do you expect from AirTran", etc. Very low threat, and I sure wouldn't trot out the Sheryl Cage stuff, or you'd probably seem insincere.

One thing I have noticed about working here is that there is very little bitching/petty whining on the flight deck. Most of our guys are relaxed guys, they don't hate the company, they treat daily problems with a little humor. And, if you are a third year capt making over $100K, it would be pretty hard to leave to go to the right seat somewhere else for 5 or 6 years, sitting reserve, etc., so most guys plan on staying, from what I see and hear, so we are all trying to continue to improve this place because we will be here for the long haul.

I have jumpseated with companies where the pay was higher, but the atmosphere was poisonous, and that really degrades your quality of life. I'm sure we can all relate to that.

Good luck to all, if you want to work here, find someone to put your stuff in and stay on them. Polish up your sim skills if necessary, read up on the company, via the website or wherever, and be patient, the interview/hiring process can be frustrating, but once you get in the door, it goes much more smoothly, at least it did for me- 90 days from Day 1 to finishing IOE, and 3 more months to a commutable line (fly in/start same day).

Thanks a mill Ty.

I'm very committed to the process. Hope it happens. Best of luck to you guys.

Thanks,

Tom

Latest resources

Back