Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Independence Air Seeks UAL Affiliation AGAIN... Not good.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heavy Set said:
That should provide a lot of security to Indy drivers if Indy Air supports UAL in the future - Air Whiskey's situation proves that no amount of loyalty or good performance guarantees you'll be around in a few years - it comes down to money alone...

If you were an Indy pilot, would you even want to tie your professional future to UAL? I don't think I would...
Loyalty? Any one care to discuss UFS?

Independence Air Weighs Offer From United
Thursday December 23, 3:41 pm ET
By Matthew Barakat, AP Business Writer Low-Fare Carrier Independence Air Considers Bid on United Airlines Feeder Routes

McLEAN, Va. (AP) -- Independence Air, which has struggled since its launch six months ago as an independent low-fare carrier, has been asked by bankrupt United Airlines to return as a feeder carrier, a company spokesman said on Thursday.

[size=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/size]
Rick DeLisi, a spokesman for Independence Air's Dulles, Va.-based corporate parent, Flyi, Inc., said the company received an unsolicited request from UAL Corp.'s United to bid on the regional feeder routes.

He said that the company has discussed the issue with United, but declined to confirm that the company actually submitted a bid.

"We have always said that we would be open to listening to any idea," DeLisi said.

Flyi executives had previously stated they would consider a return to flying as a regional carrier.

United spokesman Jeff Green confirmed that Flyi was one of 12 companies from which United solicited bids, but he declined to comment on whether Flyi responded.

Independence Air launched in June as a low-cost carrier based out of Dulles International Airport, near Washington, D.C. The airline used a fleet of 50-seat regional jets to offer service to a variety of Eastern cities, including many smaller cities that never had a low-fare carrier.

Despite round-trip fares as low as $58 and an aggressive marketing campaign, the planes have been only half full. The industry average is about 70 percent.

The company reported losses of $83 million in the third quarter, as high fuel prices also hurt the company's bottom line. It has warned that bankruptcy is a possibility as soon as January, when it faces a series of aircraft lease payments.

If Flyi were to resume as a United regional carrier, it is unclear whether it would totally abandon the Independence Air brand, or continue operations in a hybrid role.

Independence Air has altered its business model in recent months by tweaking its route network and making its tickets available through traditional travel booking networks.

The airline had hoped to keep costs down by selling tickets exclusively through its Web site, but found that business travelers often still rely on traditional distribution networks to purchase tickets. Many of Independence Air's routes cater more to business travelers.

Independence Air has also been under pressure from its largest shareholder, Boston-based PAR Capital Management, to end its experiment as a low-fare carrier and resume its role as an express carrier for United.

PAR, which has acquired a 10 percent stake in the company over the last two months, wrote a letter to the Flyi board of directors Nov. 15, stating that "you no longer have the luxury of blindly pursuing a strategy that will clearly require more financial resources than you have at your disposal, thereby inevitably leading to the complete destruction of shareholder value and the substantial impairment of your creditor liabilities."

Flyi, formerly known as Atlantic Coast Airlines, embarked on the Independence Air experiment after United Airlines filed for bankruptcy and sought to sharply curtail the profit margins of its regional carriers.

Though some analysts questioned the wisdom of trying to run a low-fare airline with regional jets, which generally have higher unit costs, Flyi executives said the potential rewards of establishing a successful independent carrier outweighed the risks.

Flyi shares increased 1 cent to $1.78 in afternoon trading Thursday on the Nasdaq Stock Market.

Talk about getting back together with your ex-wife after a messy divorce. Anyone have any statistics on that?

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Loyalty? Any one care to discuss UFS?
I don't think we have that amount of time!! :D UFS though lets be fair, although a great bunch of guy's left very little to be desired carrier wise as far as UA were concerned.

Pukindog said:
If Skywest started flying 319/320s, wouldn't they lose their Delta flying?
I believe so.

If Skywest was in the market, they could p/u either ASA or Comair for next to nothing, as long as the contract with DL is not included. They could use those planes for the UAX flying that they are bidding on. I think DL would like nothing better than to unload either one of these carriers, and the contract. This would free up more work for RJET & their 170's.:)

jukebox said:
SkyWest will probably make an offer to buy IA as it would save face for everyone. They have been looking for the right buyout opportunity and the price is probably right at this time to suck up these guys. We have classes going non stop right now with up to 50 pilots a class, should pass 2000 pilots on the seniority list in the next month, and only talk of more pilots and FA's needed. Something is definitely up.

So let me get this straight - you guys are hiring like crazy in order to fill the seats of the IA aircrafts that you'll get if you buy us out???? You might want to allow us to fill those seats rather than throw us on the street.

Heavy Set said:
It makes sense that UAL would look to potentially outsource some of its A319-sized flying given recent statements to the press about focusing on more profitable routes. The fact that Indy has the capability to provide this lift is important - and the fact that Skywest is already talking about that sized aircraft is interesting.

I am not sure that UAL would want Indy and Skywest to merge because it would reduce its bargaining leverage with the two airlines. One thing is for certain however, UAL wants Indy OUT OF THE WAY so it would be likely that it would award feed to Indy - to reduce IAD competition and restore its pricing monopoly...

The big loser in this situation could be Air Whiskey if Indy wins the feed at IAD. At the same time, Air Whisky and Skywest are both courting Northwest to be the third Airlink - this could be very interesting and not a good situation at all for Air Whiskey drivers...
Outsource A319 flying? LOL......... Never happen... heavy set from your statment you are NOT a pilot, why do you pretend to be one?

lowecur said:
I believe so.

If Skywest was in the market, they could p/u either ASA or Comair for next to nothing, as long as the contract with DL is not included. They could use those planes for the UAX flying that they are bidding on. I think DL would like nothing better than to unload either one of these carriers, and the contract. This would free up more work for RJET & their 170's.:)

That's fine...as long as we come with the airplanes. Oh wait, I forgot...your company buys only assets, NOT airlines.:rolleyes:

CRJ Driver said:
Outsource A319 flying? LOL......... Never happen... heavy set from your statment you are NOT a pilot, why do you pretend to be one?
Ha Ha - I'm just insightful you jacka$$. Why don't you use your brain every once and awhile... Do you think all pilots are idiots like yourself?

The UAL situation is not "normal" and competing with LCCs is not working on many routes. I was just speculating about what could happen - I don't think all A319 routes would be outsourced - but some could on low-margin routes where feed is still important to the hubs (feeding the higher-margin international traffic). Everyone knows your CRJ is not popular with passengers and its economics are not favorable in a low-fare environment. It's called thinking outside of the box - something you don't do.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back