Inappropriate comments about RJ crash?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My post from another thread.....

I'm really getting pissed off about this right now (again). We all want to (and will) learn from all of this, but I can't stomach people with little or no experience in the industry (with the exception of riding in the back) having diarrhea of the mouth. From the un-official information I have heard and read, the crew doesn’t appear blameless, but to portray their actions in the light Mr. Stempler did is just plain sensationalism. He didn’t have to use the language that he did, so why did he? It would appear that he wants to get a sound bite on FOX, CNN and Headline News. Why? Because it drums up business for his fee-based Air Travelers Association.

In my opinion, he is just another guy (and aviation lawyer) trying to make a buck at the expense of others.

A search of the airman registry for D Stempler returned 0 records, but I found this interesting article.

Again,

RIP guys.

PCL_128 said:
The CRJ certainly isn't the best climber in the world, but that does not make it a "POS." The airplane performs perfectly if you follow the book and respect the limits of the performance charts. I've taken the plane to FL410 and it did just fine. We were empty and it was a very cold day. If you try to do the same thing when it's ISA+15 then the plane won't do it. Again, you just have to respect the limits within the performance charts. The airplane is not the problem.

I was unaware that the pilots were acting in a way they shouldn't have. That changes things. If the airplane is giving you a warning, as someone else mentioned, then you take the chance it'll bite you.

I was pretty much speechless after reading that CVR.

Anybody notice the {whistling} thing just before the first stall event? Nearly all accident CVR's with situations where the pilots were doing something way wrong include one or more of the pilots whistling to themselves. Pretty eerie.

I cannot believe they switched seats. Flew with Jesse a few days before the accident... no indications of any behavior like this.

Furthermore I can't believe that they let the plane get that far...it was telling them over and over that it didn't like being up there. Ugh.

TonyC said:
I was reading the CVR transcript while I was listening to the hearing.

I thought I would throw up if I read the word "dude" one more time.

Last word on the CVR? dude.
Thats being a bit arrogant, don't you think? Sure, these guys did some stupid things (seat swapping, over-rotating, etc..) and I'm not trying to defend them for that....but can you think back to a few times where you would've sounded like a fool on a CVR if it had ever been made public? So they said "dude" a lot...so do I sometimes...and so do some of the 40 something year old guys that I fly with...who really gives a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**?

Last edited:
These comments are really scary:

"..it ain't speeding up worth #."
"this # nose is. look at how nose high we are."
"I know that's #. dude the # ball's way off man. dude the ball's full off."

So it's uncoordinated and nose-up. But then:

# thing's losing it.
[sound of laughing]
...we're losing here. we're gonna be # coming down in a second here dude.
[sound of laughing]
this thing ain't gonna # hold altitude. is it?
it can't man we # (cruised/greased) up here but it won't stay.
yeah that's funny we got up here it won't stay here.
dude it's # losing it. [sound of laughing]
yeah.

Has there been any discussion about flying that high at night, and its effect on your body? We're all taught about it, but one of the known factors is that impairment is worse and comes on earlier at night. I haven't seen the NTSB even look in that direction.

These guys did some stupid things, and it's very uncomfortable to read the CVR. But at some point, it seems like their judgment just dropped off the scale. I mean, the airplane is telling you that you're getting into serious trouble, and your only response is to laugh? Something not right there.

Latest resources

Back