• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

In search of shoes!!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My last 2 pair of shoes have been the Deer Stagg, Black, Lace-up, wing-tips. I love them but they do set off the metal detectors at some of the more sensitive stations. I had a screener "wand" them and it looks like the metal is in the heel, not the shank.
Just be prepared that you might set off the alarm and then have to go through the full body scan.

Majik said:
I had a screener "wand" them and it looks like the metal is in the heel, not the shank.

If the heel is what set them off it's the nails that hold the heel together. They must have a butt-load of nails to set off the magnetometer, though, unless you have a rodeo-prize belt buckle.

I had an almost new pair of Tony Lama boots fixed by my shoe guy. He separated the heel from the sole and took the steel shank out, replacing it with a fiberglass one. He managed to use the original rubber sole and it only cost me $20. I immediately had him replace the shank and soles on an older pair of Justin Ropers that I will save for the deice season. $40.

I wore the Lamas for a five day trip (including the super sensitive TSA check point in IND) and didn't set the magnetometer off once.

Doc Martins, have been wearing them through security forever and they never set off the machine............

garf12 said:
Now days you have to take of your shoes no matter what though dont you? They allways say we "recommend" you take them off. But if you dont they are just going to pull you aside and make you.

The current rule seems to be that they can stay on if you're in uniform. Under any other circumstances, the shoes have to come off, unless you're into secondary screening.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back