• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

In Memory of Rich.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rich Beisheim. They didn't have kids, they had two dogs. Stacy was his wife, she was on her last trip at AirTran (F/A), they were planning on being in Dallas in training together at the same time, Rich was supposed to start transition class Nov 2nd.

My wife is a psychiatrist and she is absolutely appalled that the FAA won't allow pilots to even seek COUNSELING without fear of losing their medical, much less seek therapy or medication, and there are a few anti-depressants and/or mood stabilizers that do not affect motor skill coordination, color blindness, or any other required physiological factor that would be required for flight.

We can all speculate for a cause, but at the end of the day, Rich clearly needed some kind of help and didn't get it. Why? we probably will never know, but it quite possibly was a tragedy that could have been avoided. Matt is right, we should remember him for the positive things he did.

25 % of the polulation by experts estimates have some type or even slight mental illness. Throwin exceptional responsibility and emotional bagagge along with hazing and 24 hour internet that can b e hard to walk away from and you have a recipe for disaster for or children and also adults.

Some people should be asshamed by therir behavior with these kinds of statistics and the new environment we live in.

Last edited:
Rich was genuine, warm hearted, smart and trustworthy. I will miss him. Just writing this makes me tear up. God bless you rich. Peace be with you always

I am deeply saddened by the news. While I never liked the guy and argued with him on subject of SLI at every opportunity, I feel very sorry for what happened. Rich was very passionate in what he believed. He loved SWA and trusted upper management. He convinced 86% of AirTran pilots to give up their seniority under strong argument that their jobs were at stake. Rich truly believed that. At recent arbitration, Company made a statement that the "Threat" was simply a negotiation tactic. It was a bluff, said Company VP, and your merger committee went for it. Basically they used Rich and others to set up positive relationship with SWAPA going into contract talks. And when he was no longer useful, they threw him under a bus making him scapegoat. I think it was too much for Rich to handle. Really sad.

So I gather this was suicide.

I have many friends and family that work in mental health and yes Mach, unless you're referring to some other hurtful indiscretion your post is beyond ignorant in the honest definition of the word.
I second the poster above - like many things still too much stigma around mental issues-

RIP to him and prayers to all who knew and loved him. Very sad.

Sounds like he was vocal - do we know him here on FI?

I stand by my post. He created great pain and suffering for his wife and kids. He didn't consider them at all. Very selfish. You guys talk about him like he's some sort of hero.

This may be very well how you feel, but do you think this is the proper venue?

This reminds me of war protesters who would show up at family services for fallen soldiers to express and display their view of the war. Wrong venue, completely inappropriate, and appalling. Although they have every right to feel that way and every right to let their feelings be known, there are right and wrong ways of doing it.

You made a conscious decision to come on to a thread titled "In Memory of..." to express your disagreement with a method of such an undertaking.

Out of respect for this man and those of us who considered him a friend, could you (and others) please refrain from using this one thread for such posting? If you're that passionate about the topic you chose, start your own thread.

Farewell, Rich. Peace be with you.

If he loved his wife, he shouldn't have done this to her. Selfish.

That's an understandable thought to be honest, however, very wrong. We had a pilot commit suicide and a mental health Doctor came to a meeting to discuss suicide. It's a mental disease, obviously, but the person doing it doesn't actually see that they are ending their life. They just think think they are ending the problems they have that have become to much to handle. It may not seem rational, but mental illness never is.
I didn't know Rich, but rest in piece brother. Wether anyone agreed with his union work or not, he obviously worked very hard trying to do what he thought was best for his pilot group. He is a victim of mental illness just the same as if he was a victim of cancer or heart disease. RIP

Latest resources

Back