• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

In Memory of Rich.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am deeply saddened by the news. While I never liked the guy and argued with him on subject of SLI at every opportunity, I feel very sorry for what happened. Rich was very passionate in what he believed. He loved SWA and trusted upper management. He convinced 86% of AirTran pilots to give up their seniority under strong argument that their jobs were at stake. Rich truly believed that. At recent arbitration, Company made a statement that the "Threat" was simply a negotiation tactic. It was a bluff, said Company VP, and your merger committee went for it. Basically they used Rich and others to set up positive relationship with SWAPA going into contract talks. And when he was no longer useful, they threw him under a bus making him scapegoat. I think it was too much for Rich to handle. Really sad.

Wow... This is very sad.

Capn B-head and Lear70 are absolutely correct. The fact that there isn't a federal program for this kind of mental health issue really needs to change. This kind of senseless loss of life is always tragic. I hope the family is one day able to recover from this.

I am deeply saddened by the news. While I never liked the guy and argued with him on subject of SLI at every opportunity, I feel very sorry for what happened. Rich was very passionate in what he believed. He loved SWA and trusted upper management. He convinced 86% of AirTran pilots to give up their seniority under strong argument that their jobs were at stake. Rich truly believed that. At recent arbitration, Company made a statement that the "Threat" was simply a negotiation tactic. It was a bluff, said Company VP, and your merger committee went for it. Basically they used Rich and others to set up positive relationship with SWAPA going into contract talks. And when he was no longer useful, they threw him under a bus making him scapegoat. I think it was too much for Rich to handle. Really sad.

Amazing version of the "truth" but hey, Rich is no longer here to defend himself so feel free to do the thinking for him.

Capn B-head and Lear70 are absolutely correct. The fact that there isn't a federal program for this kind of mental health issue really needs to change. This kind of senseless loss of life is always tragic. I hope the family is one day able to recover from this.

I agree. Wouldn't it be nice if that's the one good thing that could come of this. I hate to think of how many other of our fellow pilots may be walking through life in their own personal Hell, afraid to seek help.

If you are talking depression... There is help. It's usually under the same umbrella as your hims program. (For the reason of recertifying guys/gals under special issuance)

Always speak up to those you worry about. This is a huge problem in this industry.

I'm saddened to hear about this. May the good lord give his family, friends, and especially his wife the strength to see this through.

No amount of money, position, or whatever else comes with the burdens we put on union representatives is worth this. While his work with the union may not have been the sole cause of this, one cannot under estimate the sense of responsibility these people may carry within themselves.

Pilots need to be allowed to say, "I can't deal with this anymore and I need help." But, I'll bet 99% of us think we're stronger than that, and are deathly afraid of the stigma and repercussions that are sure to come our way from the Feds. Our livelihoods hang on the balance and by God we'll stick it out because we have mouths to feed. Very very sad indeed.

Seems like a lot of people assume Rich's problems were SLI/web bullying related. It could have been family issues or money problems or any combination thereof. I don't know, but He always seemed to enjoy arguing about the SLI.

is this the same dude with a Facebook page? under: Rich Beisheim How young was he?

Seems like a lot of people assume Rich's problems were SLI/web bullying related. It could have been family issues or money problems or any combination thereof. I don't know, but He always seemed to enjoy arguing about the SLI.

A valid point, but did the constant attacks by others help or hurt the situation that led to his decision? Either way, the people who attacked him better have a good umbrella policy.

Latest resources

Back