Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

In 2006 lab test, 787 battery blew up, burned down building...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The point of testing isn't to see how it works under ideal conditions. The point of testing is to force it to fail to see what happens. The fact that the building burned down tells us that the battery can catch fire and nothing more. The building burned for its own defects and probably poor test design.

Oh, when you explain it like that.... it sounds so much better.

Why don't we install one at your house as a power source for you to use? Afterall... it did pass rigorous FAA testing standards prior to being put on the 787.

:rolleyes:

They test engines to failure in development too. Wings, structures, etc. Whats the point?

The fact that they burned down their own building, while trying to fail the battery, just says they're clowns and weren't prepared for the battery fire that they were trying to cause.

They test engines to failure in development too. Wings, structures, etc. Whats the point?

The fact that they burned down their own building, while trying to fail the battery, just says they're clowns and weren't prepared for the battery fire that they were trying to cause.

Because the fire ended up being larger and more difficut to extinguish then they anticipated?

Doesn't this demonstrate that the engineers don't fully understand the technology and the implications should they get a runaway?

I dunno, according to this guy, who was there, the battery exploded "for no reason" and the charger wasn't even running at the time.

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone at Boeing, at any time, thought to themselves "Hey, maybe all this outsourcing of our product is going to be bad for the quality of our product"? The thing has a fuselage constructed of Chinese carbon fiber- wonder how long it will be before they start having problems with that?

Correct me if I am wrong about the outsourcing at Boeing-but the management at some of the companies and the problems they were facing forced boeing to buy those bad companies and install their own management and quality control?

It's not just outsourcing by Boeing, part of the problem was the companies were "outsourcing the outsourcing". The french company Thales is the company that Boeing contracts for the electric system on the 787 who then contracts the Japanese company GS Yuasa for the batteries. I cannot imagine the logistics of maintaining quality control on so many layers of parts, contracted by so many different companies, in so many different countries.

It's not just outsourcing by Boeing, part of the problem was the companies were "outsourcing the outsourcing". The french company Thales is the company that Boeing contracts for the electric system on the 787 who then contracts the Japanese company GS Yuasa for the batteries. I cannot imagine the logistics of maintaining quality control on so many layers of parts, contracted by so many different companies, in so many different countries.

Is there a company (including Boeing USA) that makes both aircraft electrical systems and batteries?

AFAIK Boeing doesn't make tires either. So what?

Didn't you read the NPRM on the rest rules? A Human life is worth ~$5M.

The rest rules are for the crews flying passengers. I have had more than one FAA person tell me he or she could care less if a cargo jet crashes into a cow pasture, its not a problem unless the jet hits a occupied house.

Is there a company (including Boeing USA) that makes both aircraft electrical systems and batteries?

AFAIK Boeing doesn't make tires either. So what?

Boeing makes neither on the 787.

Latest resources

Back