• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Impressions???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All charter operators promise extra pilots down the line, they very rarely ever produce this 3rd or 4th pilot. They tell the owners they can get by without it..."we can use contract guys". Problem is they want YOU there for the owner flights and then rarely get the contract guy for the 135 flights....my favorite...the "pop-up" charter that follows the 4th long weekend in a row at the owners vacation home...lovely. Be nice to have another crew!....

remember, the charter company is there to impress the owner with thier cost savings measures. Dont ever think they (or the owners) give a $hit about YOU or the fact that you have not been home for a weekend or holiday in 6 months. They will give you a few lines of bull$hit and you will be back in ASE or PBI the very next weekend (after that charter during the week)....gotta justify this expensive airplane and your paycheck you know...

As far as approaching the owners about leaving the charter compnay. I have seen this many times and have NEVER seen it work out in favor of the pilot.

If you cant take the charter, say Thank You and get out of the charter business.

Last edited:
Gulfstream 200 said:
As far as approaching the owners about leaving the charter compnay. I have seen this many times and have NEVER seen it work out in favor or the pilot.
It was one of the best decisions we've ever made. YMMV.

good for you guys! I have seen more than a few guys fired or blackballed for trying that. Its risky to try and run off with some guy and his plane which he may very well sell in a year, now you are back looking for work...with a bad reputation.

you work 5 days a month and 1 RON?.....wow!...sounds good.

Hope it lasts.

Gulfstream 200 said:
you work 5 days a month and 1 RON?.....wow!...sounds good.

Hope it lasts.
It's true. Just had three weeks off, flew yesterday. Our next trip is two weeks from today. On the rare occasion we have a multi-day layover, we're welcome to bring our significant others.

I know you've been skeptical of my job's longevity in the past. Anything can happen. Our boss is young and in a business that's not affected by swings in the economy. The A/C is a necessity for the family's privacy, safety and convenience. We handle the domestic trips. The extended family owns larger A/C for the international ops.

FWIW-Every pilot we know-PT121, 91, 135- has offered to come work for us.

My CP and I are currently helping the boss with some research. He wants a report on the best place to keep our A/C over the next 15 years. Seems to be as stable as anything in this business.:)

Oh Im not skeptical...I know nothing of your job. All I was saying is that working 5 days a month is pretty darn nice. Some desire to fly more, I myself can certainly think of many hobbies to keep me busy the other 25 days a month.

I hope he does not get run over by a car....you will have a hard time replacing your gig.

can you share what kind of business he is in that is never affected by the economy? just curious...

Gulfstream 200 said:
I hope he does not get run over by a car....you will have a hard time replacing your gig.
As I said, "anything can happen". Thankfully, he's quick on his feet.

Gulfstream 200 said:
can you share what kind of business he is in that is never affected by the economy? just curious...
I don't want to go into details about the business on a public message board. Of course, every business is affected by the economy. I would've been more correct to say our flight dept. isn't affected by downturns in the economy. It's a relatively small expense in relation to the value the boss gets from it.

Back to the original topic: Too many pilots complain about their jobs. If you don't like it, do something about it. There are GREAT jobs out there. I'm a relatively low-time guy and I had no problem finding this one (got if off of FlightInfo). Nappy- Good luck with your decision!

Gulfstream 200 said:
As far as approaching the owners about leaving the charter compnay. I have seen this many times and have NEVER seen it work out in favor of the pilot.
There certainly is a risk to doing this, and while I have never done it, I had been approached by a couple of owners during my 135 days. I also have first hand knowledge of two operations that have successfully made the transition from managed 135 to a owner 91 operation.

The big thing here is to have all your ducks in a row. The management company has legal documents with ramifications if the owner breaks the agreement. What has happened is a pilot comes along and tells the owner that he can save $100K by managing the airplane him/herself. So the owner goes to the management company and says "I want to break my agreement as Pilot 'A' is going to manage my airplane", and the management company comes back and says that's fine, but you will owe us $200K in lost charter revenue. Guess what happens, Pilot "A" is on the street looking for a job, with a bad reputation.

The people that had been successful with the transition, have had owners that really didn't need the charter business, they simply "hooked" up with the charter company because it was their first and only forte' into private aviation.

Certainly a move to be cautious about, but it certainly can be done and very successfully at that.

can you share what kind of business he is in that is never affected by the economy?
Heroin? :cool:

5 days a month, 1 RON...

Jeez, HMR, you have to rub it in don't you!

What's next, you gonna tell us that the boss also throws in a company car as well as an on call 5'6 110 lb 21 yr old massage girl!

BTW, did JT ever get a hold of you?

MSN

Latest resources

Back