Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Impressions of ASA's training/standards dept.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree....the training and standards depts. will do everything possible to get a pilot up to speed and through the training process.

In 8+ years at ASA I never found the training or standards guys to be anything but stellar.

I remember talking to a DOD inspector one time (He did inspections of the 121 carriers that carried DOD personnel) He said the operation at ASA was not well run, but the training department was the best he had seen at any regional.

I agree....the training and standards depts. will do everything possible to get a pilot up to speed and through the training process.

Agreed.....training when I was at ASA was always first rate.

I agree that the training department here is top notch. I do question the wisdom of getting some of people thru no matter what. Frankly, some of our newhires aren't ready for this kind of flying. Should we really bend over backwards to get people thru? That isn't aimed at our instructors, I just wonder if it is the best thing to do.

I agree that the training department here is top notch. I do question the wisdom of getting some of people thru no matter what. Frankly, some of our newhires aren't ready for this kind of flying. Should we really bend over backwards to get people thru? That isn't aimed at our instructors, I just wonder if it is the best thing to do.

I hear where you're coming from, but I've resigned myself to the fact that this is just the way the industry is nowadays.

Well, since you and your compadres seem to want us to bend over for a subpar contract, then that is what you will continue to get in the future. On the other hand, if we bring our pay up, bring our quality of life up, and regain our position as an airline to escape to rather than escape from, then perhaps we can once again attract some quality applicants.

It's been said before, but if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

Well, since you and your compadres seem to want us to bend over for a subpar contract, then that is what you will continue to get in the future. On the other hand, if we bring our pay up, bring our quality of life up, and regain our position as an airline to escape to rather than escape from, then perhaps we can once again attract some quality applicants.

It's been said before, but if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

FmrFreightDog,

Even if this contract gets settled tomorrow, we will still be a stepping stone. Aside from our differences, the differences between the two sides aren't enough to make this a "career airline"....

We have created a two-tiered system, or an apprentice/master system, where these jobs have become "stepping stone" jobs to the real jobs. A new contract won't stop that....

We as a union have done ourselves a disservice by condoning this low level of entry.... We should not be accepting of allowing the right seat to become a "learning position".... It should be filled with fully qualified people, not by people still learning.....

Aren't you an instructor, SD?

FmrFreightDog,

Even if this contract gets settled tomorrow, we will still be a stepping stone. Aside from our differences, the differences between the two sides aren't enough to make this a "career airline"....

We have created a two-tiered system, or an apprentice/master system, where these jobs have become "stepping stone" jobs to the real jobs. A new contract won't stop that....

We as a union have done ourselves a disservice by condoning this low level of entry.... We should not be accepting of allowing the right seat to become a "learning position".... It should be filled with fully qualified people, not by people still learning.....

It's a stepping stone because the Majors pay better. It is a ROI equation. We could have the best contract in the world to fly as little as we wanted, but would still be a stepping stone because of the economic reality of the 1st and the 15th of the month. This is the ultimate endgame of actions that were initiated in 1978. No union or coalition could alter or change this. The 'We' that you speak of did not create, nor could change, this environment.

And for those that advocate that one should "Vote their career and lobby their hobby", a quick history lesson is in order. Who exactly was in the White House in 1978? How about the last time AA wanted to strike?

I agree strongly with you that BOTH seats of an airliner should be filled with motivated, competent people that want to be there. I disagree strongly that simple hours in a logbook determine eligibility.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, the training department at ASA is top notch.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back