Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Impressions of ASA's training/standards dept.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ExHeloGuy

Just curious what the everyone's impression is of ASA's training and standards department? Good and bad.

You answer a question with a question. Hmmmm you must be a lawyer, no I see it now you are a scared LCP. Nevermind.

With upgrade around the corner I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but I've never had any trouble with the training dept. Seems to be a good bunch of guys over there.

ASA's training department is top notch. While every department has a few power hungry hardasses, most IPs are here great. They mostly will do whatever you need to get through as long as your attitude is good. But if they sense you have a bad attitude, they'll weed you out very quickly.

The standards department is one of the best in the industry in that ASA pilots fly EXTREMELY standard. You hear jumpseaters say this all the time. You hear the same thing from pilots that go to other airlines.

All in all, I'd say our training department is very good.

Unfortunately, Skywest is trying to destroy it by lowering pay and driving out the best instructors. The company would be perfectly happy to contract it out. ASA has no corporate memory, and they don't realize how screwed up everything got the last time they did that by contracting out Brasilia training.

I went to ASA after I got furloughed and was only there 6 months but thought there training department was very good.

Being as I am in the Standards side, I have the utmost respect and trust for the Instructors. I rely on them to provide quality instruction, which in turn makes my job all that much easier.

I have always found all of the instructors to be easy going, with few exceptions that I brought on myself. Everyone here, including Line Captains, want to see everyone succeed.

In fact, if I recommend someone for additional IOE, I wonder if I could have done anything different. However, I would never compomise safety and standards to get someone on-line.

Take it for what it is worth, the only one who can fail you...is you alone.

With re: to me saying I am a scared LCP...that sould be taken with the jest that was intended.

If you s !_! ck (in training) you will be history! Very unforgiving training department, like it should be.

Just went through initial training not too long ago. Excellent training department. They take the time to make sure you understand everything, are prepared and will go out online a safe and standard pilot.
As long as a good attitude is kept and progress is being made, they'll take the time to help you, smooth out your problem areas, etc... Most of them enjoy their job and want to be there and teach. Was very impressed.

If you s !_! ck (in training) you will be history! Very unforgiving training department, like it should be.

That is absolutely untrue. For example, we had a pilot in LAX that had very serious difficulty getting through training. Something like over 80 segments of IOE. Was sent back to ATL (taken offline) for retraining, and is now back flying the Line.

Trojan

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back